Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From everything I've read and searched, the dead pedal issue is a complete loss of power....most of the time at speed. However, my problem is usually from a stop....and I don't have a complete loss. I can accelerate sloooooooowly up to about 1700 rpm and then everything is fine. Also, after about 4 or 5 times of doing this after I happen to slow down, the problem seems to go away. Didn't have any codes last time I checked and I've got one of Timbo's APPS's on. Stock lift pump with a FP gauge that doesn't show that I've lost any fuel pressure. Am I still looking at a problem with the VP44 ?

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Recommend doing some reading at BlueChipDiesel.com. There is a very good explination and diagnois procedure that puts much in prespecitive. look around before you drop coinage for overpriced pump....

Reactions: U&I

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Do you have the original VP and whats fuel pressures are you running? How many miles on the VP?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
moparman1973 has some good dead pedal info. Mine was intermittent from a stop sign but threw a 0216 code.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its the second pump the truck has had.....previous owner had one put in at some point. I've had the truck for about 4 years and 40,000 miles. I'm running at 15 psi at idle and it sees as low as 7 sometimes...so I know that's a possibility, but I also know that people can run on those pressures for years.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Its the second pump the truck has had.....previous owner had one put in at some point. I've had the truck for about 4 years and 40,000 miles. I'm running at 15 psi at idle and it sees as low as 7 sometimes...so I know that's a possibility, but I also know that people can run on those pressures for years.
You're right by saying that some people have gotten away with running low fuel pressure for years but that doesn't mean that its a condoned practice either. And as you've probably read, there is lots of unanswered questions as to why guys do get away with it. But really the main issue behind the dead pedal is because of computer issues, that being usually compromised solder connections in the lead free solder. So whether one computer can endure the heat more than another would be a good question behind the reasoning. No matter, it sounds like your computer is telling you that you better start saving up for a replacement VP.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to bring this one back to life....anyone think that this could be a noise issue from the alternator? only code is the 1488...so I don't think its the vp44. Should I try one of the noise isolators?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts