Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Sorry .... Another Turbo Question

957 Views 14 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jrogers24v
A friend of mine has an HX-50 that he wants to sell me cheap if I could use it. I was wondering if this would be good in a budget twin set up. My question is what would it take to light this thing as a single, would it be worth picking up, and what would it take to build a twins kit around this? I know I need the tranny upgrades etc etc, but I just want to know fuel wise what I would have to do. Thinking about just picking it up and stashing it till the time comes. Please help me out.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
your gonna need 150s-200s to spool it decent and its too small for a primary in twins like blackedout said. Unless your building a budget pulling truck id pass on it and save your $$.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what would I be looking at to run it as a single? What would really get it to light up, and the only reason i'm reqally asking is cause I can snag it for 100 bucks. What would be the best size of injector to go with?

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
Is there any way you can take the housings off and measure the wheels to give us a better idea of what your working with? Also what size exhaust housing is on it?

There are a lot of factors to look at

· Registered
6,585 Posts
i looked in to it when i was going to do my hx50 (67/78/22). if i were doing it... get a 14cm turbine housing (call columbus diesel), get it machined to fit the 78mm wheel, a t3-t4 adapter, turbo drain line, hx40 down pipe, and all the inlet piping.

you are going to need AT LEAST 200hp sticks .

· Registered
6,585 Posts
Would it be benefical to go to a bigger injector than 200's?? And what would be the largest I could go with on an SO VP??
im running ~250hp injectors now. i have seen guys running 275's, 300's, and 320's. a 250 is the max i would run on a sovp.

im no diesel guru or anything, but this is the way i see it. your sovp can make ~650hp max. so why run an injector that can make more than that?

And what would this cost??
its been a while since i got quotes, but if i remember correctly...

turbo housing and having it machined- ~$500
down pipe- $150-200
flange adapter- $20-50
cold piping- ~$100
drain pipe- ???

your going to have just over a grand wraped up in this. plus, you will still have the weak shafts and wheels. (which is why i chose to go in another direction)

i thread i started when i was doing mine :thumbsup:

HX50 Build Help! - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So then if I decided to go the 250 injectors route what would be the best turbo to pair with that?? I want something that is not a complete waste of money but that wont be worth more than the whole truck.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want something that could be considered a daily driver, but I also want something that is able to put lots of power down. I don't really use it to tow with and it will never be a comp pulling truck. However if I did tow (horse trailer, car) with it I wouldn't want to really worry about it. I basically want as much power as I can make and have a street strip machine.

· Wyoming Eastern President
3,063 Posts
My vote goes for a 62 and some 150s

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.