Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and unplugged the EGR today on my 2011 and was wondering about where the soot is going to end up? I did not notice any power loss as some suggested but did see a 2mpg gain on the lie o meter!!! Before you guys bust my chops about the (search EGR unplug), I already did that and no one was clear on the soot after the unplug trick. I an not new to cummins, Just all the emissions crap on the 6.7. When the 100k is gone I will do the deletes, Until then staying stock except for the unplug. If it matters, I do tow around 20 to 26k most all the time, any input would be nice. thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
To the dpf. The DPF is there to filter the soot, hence Diesel Particulate Filter. Since you tow frequently, it shouldn't be a problem because your EGT's will be high enough to burn off the soot. Just don't let it idle a lot. It needs to do regens to clear the DPF

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I went ahead and unplugged the EGR today on my 2011 and was wondering about where the soot is going to end up? I did not notice any power loss as some suggested but did see a 2mpg gain on the lie o meter!!! Before you guys bust my chops about the (search EGR unplug), I already did that and no one was clear on the soot after the unplug trick. I an not new to cummins, Just all the emissions crap on the 6.7. When the 100k is gone I will do the deletes, Until then staying stock except for the unplug. If it matters, I do tow around 20 to 26k most all the time, any input would be nice. thanks
Read this thread http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-performance-parts-discussion/90863-unplugging-egr.html

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
If you unplug the EGR, the valve doesn't open and the gasses don't recirculate back into the intake.

I don't know how to answer the question -- "Where does the soot end up?"

·
GOD IS GOOD
667 Posts
Maybe in the crossover tube or the EGR cooler :confused013:

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Yes alot of build up in the cooler willhappen and as cummins says you will have excessive regens.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So my mpg gains and cleaner engine are only going to stop up the egr cooler. :confused013: Maybe I should plug it back in and just pull the heck out of it.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
So my mpg gains and cleaner engine are only going to stop up the egr cooler. :confused013: Maybe I should plug it back in and just pull the heck out of it.
nah, it will blow thru and not get all gunked up. if you block the egr with a 'stealth' style delete then you'll see moisture and soot (paste) deposit on the blocker plates. if you plug the crossover tube with a freeze plug then the soot and moisture will build up in the tube.

there are two options for the best results, either unplug and leave it, or fully delete the cooler and egr. I had 31,000mi in my '08 and I plugged it back in for dealer visits no issues whatsoever.

if you guys are still skiddish, pull your intake horn and take a look at the grid heater. :shock: or even pull the MAP sensor on the driver side of the intake horn for soot...yep all of that is going through your engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What about after a TBE install? With H&S shutting down the egr, what happens with soot?

·
Registered
945 Posts
What about after a TBE install? With H&S shutting down the egr, what happens with soot?
I've been wondering about this too... Especially for everyone that has to return to stock for emissions testing. I don't know what the flow path is like in the egr, so I'm wondering if there's going to get a bunch of build up anywhere while it's shut off, and then when it turns back on is there going to be any issues...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would really like to know that also. At what point in the system is it shut off with the H&S? Is it at the intake horn or at the do-hicker with the cable control on top of the cooler?

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
guys, H&S doesn't do a lot of over fueling. so even if you lug the engine you won't see a lot of soot out the back. if you fully delete the egr it all goes out the turbo and TBE so the only place for soot to build up is the turbo and that is a stretch given the temp that the exhaust side of the turbo reaches. if you leave the EGR in tact and just disable it then there will be some build up in the cooler but, not much and it will be dry do to a small amount of airflow running through the system. UNLESS you block the intake side of the egr, which will leave the soot paste as I described above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Follow up question to: Soot?

Pardon my ignorance, but does the EGR disconnect affect engine output (HP or Torque), increase or decrease, if nothing else is modified?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts