Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had to take my 08 into the shop for check engine light. had to be desooted. alot of the guys at work have the 07s.lots of problems with soot.have had 2 other cummins in the past and no problems at all. probably going to wish had bought something else this time.truck has only 6800 miles and soot already a problem.someone will probably come out with a aftermarket exhaust to solve the problem,just sad to have to go to that extreme with a new truck.has anyone heard of aftermarkets fotr the 08s?

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
Moved to 6.7 Powertrain..

·
Registered
423 Posts
What does a "de-sooting" entail?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
at the dealer they can hook it up to the starscan and force it into regen to desoot. Most trucks regen normally and dont need servicing. Most problems are said to be linked to driving styles but it is a poorly designed system.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Billy,
What are your driving habits? City, Highway miles, towing, etc... City driving with it lugging around at 1200 rpm's seems to be the culprit but, not 100%. I'm currently trying to keep the rpm's up around 1800 or better and have recently been running the E-brake all the time. We'll see if any more emission related CELs pop...

·
Registered
395 Posts
just had to take my 08 into the shop for check engine light. had to be desooted. alot of the guys at work have the 07s.lots of problems with soot.have had 2 other cummins in the past and no problems at all. probably going to wish had bought something else this time.truck has only 6800 miles and soot already a problem.someone will probably come out with a aftermarket exhaust to solve the problem,just sad to have to go to that extreme with a new truck.has anyone heard of aftermarkets fotr the 08s?
I have a problem with soot also....it flys out of my 5in straight pipe and gets all over the cars behind me lol jk..... actually before I removed the dpf and both cats I had put about 10k miles on the truck but I drove it like a bat out of hell since I drove it off the lot with 10 miles on it and I never had a problem with it or a cat full message.
I am thinking that it is just ppls driving habbits that determine if the truck fills the dpf or not......also I realized that if I take off from a stop light and lightly throttle the truck it will blow soot out all over the place but if you give it a little more or just take off fast from stops it won't shoot out hardly as much.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I am having that problem and allways run eb and all highway at 2100 rpm's or better. Mine also does not throw any codes.

I wish it would so I could get a new turbo without hassle.

They changed the turbo's spec on the new one.

This does not mean that I drive it poorly.

I put on over a 100 miles a day on my truck.

I means the emission system creates problems for a lot of us.:beer

·
Registered
395 Posts
i didn't mean that ppl have bad driving habbits I just meant that some ppl take off from stops and drive like a normal person should lol.....i have just noticed that the dealer is always saying that if you get the truck on the highway it might clear the cat full message once you have run it a while and I am assuming that the reason that some ppl never get the cat full message is because they drive their trucks harder than others.
kind of hard to explain lol....

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you get the cat full msg and don't want to bring the truck in to the dealer just take it out for a 5 or 10 mile drive in 4th gear with the rpm's high around 2500 and it should clean your exhaust system out. that is what my dealership told me to do. they also said dont let the truck idell for long. that will cause the system to fill up.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i say rip all the emissions crap off so that you can idle your truck like a normal diesel and not have to worry about wasting expensive fuel driving around on the highway to make the cat full message go away....just my $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts