Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty dumb thread, but here goes.
My buddy has a 7.3 PS, 2003 i think. Probably the only diesel I would consider besides mine. He's roasting off his tires in hopes of speeding up the purchase of some newbies.

So, he and I are cruising home from a round of golf, with some possible over indulgence in a few cold ones, if you know what I mean...:lol3::thumbsup

Get onto his street and he starts to talk some :BS: about breaking the tires loose. I stop, pin the brake and romp on her!! Should see some burning rubber and hear a straight pipe scream right?? Wrong, truck bogs at about 2100 RPM, won't break 'em loose...

Not that I gotta pound my ego by roasting some tires, but what is going on here?? Is something programmed on the computer to not allow this sort abuse??

Little help appreciated. Besides, I'm looking to get some 285's or 305's on mine, and these damn Michelins won't wear out...:peelout

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i know with some cars, the engine management systems own't allow brake and throttle applicattion at the same time if the throttle is electronic (no cable). don't know about our trucks though...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Torque Management.

It's a safety feature built into the PCM to protect the powertrain.

Basically the truck "Knows" what you are trying to do. :w:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've seen some 02+ Duramax's with line locks as well as some Vipers so I know they work with Dodge's ABS system but not sure about the newer Rams.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Torque Management.
Ditto. You need an after market performance module or programmer that removes torque management.

Of course, it will also remove the transmission and torque converter if used aggressively.:thud:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's kind of what I figured. I knew it wasn't the "great" traction those Michelins provide, because it'll spin 'em on the fly, just not when I tried to stand on the brake. Idiot features...hmmm, what's Dodge trying so say here??:rof

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
my 03 does the same, but I found a way around it. Accel hard off the line then flatten the brake and crank the wheel while reapplying the accelerator to the floor if done right the rear end will lift just enough to make those michilins turn into smoke.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
my 03 does the same, but I found a way around it. Accel hard off the line then flatten the brake and crank the wheel while reapplying the accelerator to the floor if done right the rear end will lift just enough to make those michilins turn into smoke.
I thought you were trying to sell your truck. I wouldn't be saying that.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
stock trans is loooooooong gone In mine and thats the one that I was doing it with, though that might be the reason two of my michilins have a little less tread like you said stock truck wouldn't do it...

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
He had some other little tricks up his sleeve as a trans builder. His trans will circulate fluid in park because of some mods, that helps it run way cooler without a deep pan. He also runs the pressure up and with some elctronic tricks there's seamless integration. Wild torque management goes like hell. And of course should anything go wrong he has sent parts out next day air free of charge to get it back on the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts