Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Somebody Explain Load Range to Me

1589 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Derag2
I'm in the market for some new tires and I'm doing a little research. Right now I've got 35x12.5 Toyo MTs on my stock rims. The load rating for these tires is 3680lbs(range E).
-I love these tires, they have lasted me 50,000+ miles. They ride great, they pull great.
This time around I want to get a little smaller tire to hopefully get better gas mileage (and cheaper tires). But as I'm looking into other tires, the max load for an E rated tire is much lower.
Example A: BFG AT 285/70/r17 Load Range E - Max load 3195.
Example B: Firestone AT 315/70/r17 Load Range D - Max load 3195

?

I guess my real question is; will I notice a difference in the ride if I go with a tire that has a lower max load or a D Load Range?

I fairly regularly pull a 8500lb skid steer on a 2000lb trailer.

Thanks for any and all help.
Tim
2004 CTD Quad Cab Short Bed 3"lift
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Load E usually have a third side wall construction and is an 8ply construction vrs the 6ply. Generally load E are built stronger than Load D, now some tires are built differently today and can handle the heavy loads. It is your risk. I would stay with load e for the loads you are pulling.

Some people will say that the Load D give a softer ride, I cann't feel it though.

· Rescue Tower
11,007 Posts
Unless you are taking that skid steer and trailer long distance (hot shotting?) I can't see the advantage of the E rated tire. Tirerack.com has lots of info and user ratings as well.

· Registered
748 Posts
I'm in the market for some new tires and I'm doing a little research. Right now I've got 35x12.5 Toyo MTs on my stock rims. The load rating for these tires is 3680lbs(range E).
-I love these tires, they have lasted me 50,000+ miles. They ride great, they pull great.
This time around I want to get a little smaller tire to hopefully get better gas mileage (and cheaper tires). But as I'm looking into other tires, the max load for an E rated tire is much lower.
Example A: BFG AT 285/70/r17 Load Range E - Max load 3195.
Example B: Firestone AT 315/70/r17 Load Range D - Max load 3195

?

I guess my real question is; will I notice a difference in the ride if I go with a tire that has a lower max load or a D Load Range?

I fairly regularly pull a 8500lb skid steer on a 2000lb trailer.

Thanks for any and all help.
Tim
2004 CTD Quad Cab Short Bed 3"lift
I think the BFGs that you mentioned are actually Load Range D as well. I have them. If I remember correctly they are range D.

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
Do you need an MT? I know I like the Toyo MT, cause they wear pretty good and they work well when I need to go off road. But, forget that :lol4: I want you to try some of these.

285/75R17 Nitto Dura Grappler
Load range E, R speed rating, 33.86", 3970 lbs. @80 PSI
or
285/75R17 Toyo AT
Load range E, S speed rating, 33.8", 3970 lbs. @80 PSI
Should both be in the 200 dollar range instead of 300.
I think I might try those on my LMM, I've been waiting for someone to report on them! Hefty load rating still fairly tall and a bunch narrower. Good combo as far as I'm concerned!

If you want to stick with the Toyo MT's a word of caution from what I've been hearing they don't wear as well on the smaller sizes. So I would just suck it up and run the 35's again, that's a tough tire to beat. The price is the only downfall. Well that and your milage.

· Registered
51 Posts
Do you need an MT? I know I like the Toyo MT, cause they wear pretty good and they work well when I need to go off road. But, forget that :lol4: I want you to try some of these.

285/75R17 Nitto Dura Grappler
Load range E, R speed rating, 33.86", 3970 lbs. @80 PSI
or
285/75R17 Toyo AT
Load range E, S speed rating, 33.8", 3970 lbs. @80 PSI
Should both be in the 200 dollar range instead of 300.
I think I might try those on my LMM, I've been waiting for someone to report on them! Hefty load rating still fairly tall and a bunch narrower. Good combo as far as I'm concerned!

If you want to stick with the Toyo MT's a word of caution from what I've been hearing they don't wear as well on the smaller sizes. So I would just suck it up and run the 35's again, that's a tough tire to beat. The price is the only downfall. Well that and your milage.
SANDAHOLIC; if you go to fourwheeler.com and do a search for Dura Grappler then click on the picture of the tire there is a tire test of said tire.There is also a tire test for the way cool lookin Dune grappler u can find by the same method. The Dune - Terra - come in E ratings @3640 per tire 305's, the Dura comes E rated [email protected] For the record, I don't work for Nitto, just found all this doin' my own research cause I found myself with lots of suspension towing my 40' toybox , but I ran out of tire rating on my 315's with a D rating. Hope this will help someone.(couldn't figure out how to just post the link:confused013:) L8R JT:headbang:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up getting some Toyo ATs 285/75/17E at a local tire dealer. They actually beat any internet prices I could find.

Somebody mentioned the Toyo MTs, thats what I have now. I've put 60,000 miles on them. If you are thinking about getting the MTs - DO IT. I was very pleased with them. But for what I do I thought I would try the ATs. I try to keep this truck out of the mud as much as possible!

I definatly wanted to stick with Toyo.

Again, thanks for your help.
Tim

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up getting some Toyo ATs 285/75/17E at a local tire dealer. They actually beat any internet prices I could find.

Somebody mentioned the Toyo MTs, thats what I have now. I've put 60,000 miles on them. If you are thinking about getting the MTs - DO IT. I was very pleased with them. But for what I do I thought I would try the ATs. I try to keep this truck out of the mud as much as possible!

I definatly wanted to stick with Toyo.

Again, thanks for your help.
Tim
Please get some pics up of the new tires :thumbsup:

· Registered
515 Posts
I havn't ever had a problem with load range D tires at all. My MTZ were only 2600lbs load rating and I pulled 10K+ trailers all the time without a single issue. I just bought some Cooper STT Load range D and there 3195lbs. I have run Ds on my cummins and my powerstrokes and have never had a failure. Everyone on here says you can't run Ds on these trucks and I don't by it. As long as the tires will handle the load don't be worried about D or E.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts