Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
PA CHAPTER VP
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a smarty from another member but wanted to see your guys opinion on how high i could go on it.

I have whats in my sig and im told by the previous owner it has injectors but can verify this.

-What can i safely run it at(level wise)?
-What kinda smoke are we talking?

Steve

·
PA CHAPTER VP
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump to the top

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
Stock clutch? If so probably want to keep it on the lower levels...3-5. You could run it on the high levels just to give it a shot but if you are running a stock clutch and hammer it hard on level 9 it will not last long....as far as smoke...you should be rolling some good coal now that is for sure :peelout :peelout.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
If you have aftermarket injectors and depending on the size, you'll want to run the lower levels. With just the stock injectors, you'd probably be able to run on any level.

·
PA CHAPTER VP
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have aftermarket injectors and depending on the size, you'll want to run the lower levels. With just the stock injectors, you'd probably be able to run on any level.
Why is this? That sounds backwards to me but im kinda new at this?:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i have almost the exact same truck but auto, and i have mine on 5 with no problems so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i just got a smarty in on a trade and decided to give it a go---of course my truck is built to handle almost anything, so it's on #9 and I like it, but the tranny does run hotter around town is something I noticed---

a word of wisdom has been passed down about your clutch/tranny going south---anytime you add power, whether box or injectors or both, the first things that go are the clutch if you're manual or your auto tranny torque convertor or something else in there----a headgasket is next depending on what kind of boost you hit or if you're hammering it when the engine is still cold----chris

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had the same set-up your running only mine was an auto. I had no problems running level 9 with the stock tranny. I'd say if your clutch is in good shape it will handle it. If not, you'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Smarty runs 10 times better with a set of injectors and you would be pouring black smoke.You should be safe running it on any level

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a 2000 6 speed with the edge juice and fass 150. Should it stack smarty or add a set of injectors? I dont tow with this truck just a dailly driver with 450,000 miles and stills runs great.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
little to no smoke on 9 (just a little puff) with stock injectors on a second gen. third gens get waaay more. at least thats the way it was for me. BTW it only adds round 60 hp for second gens!!!! not 160 thats for third gens!

·
PA CHAPTER VP
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am trying to figure out if the truck does have injectors on it or not. I am on level five now and its putting out some good amounts of smoke....

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Injectors make anything run good,just makes the smarty run better

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i got my smarty last week, and have been running it on sw 9 it smokes a lot on the bottom end, more than my tst power puck stack did, i will be pulling my featherlight livestock traidler 200 mi to a cattle show this weekend i guess ill see how it does with a load compared to the tst pp, which sucked and surged and all that crap..... i have noticed the fuel gauge moves a LOT faster witht the smarty to :$:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The smarty will do some easy smoking

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I am trying to figure out if the truck does have injectors on it or not. I am on level five now and its putting out some good amounts of smoke....
How much smoke was there before you got your Smarty??

Smarty, by itself, reportedly smokes a good healthy amount... I had injectors long before I had a Smarty so I don't know first hand but I do know that I couldn't get my truck to put out a cloud by romping the pedal at idle when I just had DD3's an Edge EZ but when I ditched the EZ for the Smarty I could. I'll post a few videos when I get home from the office.

Both of these videos were taken when the only 'performance' mods I had were a Smarty and DD3's... you may have to full screen them to view.

Off Idle Smoke
Drive Away

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Smarty on a stock trucks runs ok and very little smoke.It has a little smoke revving it up.Smarty and injectors will make cars dissapear

·
Registered
213 Posts
Smarty on a stock trucks runs ok and very little smoke.It has a little smoke revving it up.Smarty and injectors will make cars dissapear
:w: :woot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts