Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

I'm just about fed up with this damn truck. I removed the fuel pre-heater, cleaned and moved up the pre-filter, fixed a leaking priming button, and I spent the whole day today trying to bleed the damn fuel system.

Priming button won't do anything. Went through three batteries trying to turn it over after opening the injector lines to bleed. I even tried the positive pressure in the fuel tank trick with no luck.

It ran perfect before I removed the pre-filter, but now it's acting like there's a huge air leak or something. SO frustrating.

Any ideas? I'm plumb out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have you cracked the bleeder on top of your filter housing while pumping? MoparMan has a good writeup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you cracked the bleeder on top of your filter housing while pumping? MoparMan has a good writeup
Yep. It seems like the fuel isn't getting to the priming pump from the tank, or from the priming pump to the filter housing. I even poured some fuel directly into the bleed hole, and when I pressed the prime button, it launched out the fuel in there and that was it. No more came out after.

I'm still so confused as to why it's doing this. I pressed the priming button a good 400+ times and nothing has happened.
The only time it kicked over was when I had loosened the number 2, 3, and 4 injector lines, and it still didn't start after I had tightened the nuts back up immediately after.

That said, I never thought to loosen the OFV while priming it...perhaps that's why it's not working? I'll have to try that tomorrow for sure.

Random question, but should fuel come out of the bleed valve and OFV, or just air? That mopar1973man article says air, but it just sounds odd to me for some reason. xD

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tried following mopar1973man's steps exactly, and it's still not starting. I bled it six times today...

Briefly started once only when I put WD-40 in the intake manifold and then died 15 seconds later.

I'm going to schedule an appointment with my local diesel mechanic tomorrow. This is beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just a random thought but when/if you pulled the lift pump to replace the o-ring did the plunger inside the lift pump happen to fall out or into the block? It sounds like it’s not pumping either due to the plunger missing or you’ve got a pretty good restriction in the tank or the line going to the tank

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a random thought but when/if you pulled the lift pump to replace the o-ring did the plunger inside the lift pump happen to fall out or into the block? It sounds like it’s not pumping either due to the plunger missing or you’ve got a pretty good restriction in the tank or the line going to the tank
I don't think so, simply because I only removed the priming button assembly and not the entire lift pump.

A clogged fuel line is definitely a possibility. Not sure how to test that, though...

I'm still so confused as to why it happened this suddenly. It was running mint right up to me removing the pre-heater, and now there's no fuel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My truck wouldnt prime when i changed the lift pump no matter how many times i pumped the primer. what i did was disconnect the 90 degree hose from the prefilter going to the lift pump and poured diesel into it then reconected it. i forget if i poured the diesel into the lift pump or into the prefilter but after that it primed pretty easy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Are you cracking the injector lines loose at the pump or the injectors themselves?

One other thought, have you checked to verify that the FSS is pulling up? You could’ve bumped the wire connection to the FSS while working on your lift pump being the two are so close together

·
On call 24/7
12,510 Posts
A new lift pump will be a lot cheaper if you put it on instead of paying a mechanic to instal it. Sometimes we spend more money trying to “Fix” something on the cheap, than fixing it the right way the first time. I’m the worlds worst at this and have wasted a lot of time and money trying to save a Penney.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@98whitelightnin
You're right. I was trying everything to avoid changing it, but I went ahead and bought a replacement pump last night.

@foresterfields40
I've been opening the lines at the injectors. Good thought on the FSS. I have a mechanical shutoff, though, so unfortunately that's not it. Thanks though!

@kyle830
Good thought! I'll definitely do that after installing the new lift pump.

We'll see what happens with this new lift pump. For now, though, thank y'all for your responses!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update:

I installed a new lift pump, and that instantly solved the issue. It bled after the third pump of the priming button, and started after about 10 seconds of cranking. It seems I screwed up a few gaskets on the fuel input banjo bolt while replacing the pump, so it's spitting fuel out from there...but it's bled and running so I'm not complaining.

Thank y'all for your responses!

Reactions: 98whitelightnin
1 - 11 of 11 Posts