Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

So I decided to remove the fuel heater and clean the pre filter. After doing what needed to be done, I tightened everything back up, cracked open the 10mm bleed valve, and started on the primer button. However, fuel started squirting out on every press and I was unable to prime the system.

I did some research and figured it's probably o-ring #3 on the lift pump that had failed. (I came to this hypothesis after reading Joe G's fuel system operation and repair.)

I was wondering if any of y'all have had the same issue, and if it's better to completely change the lift pump, or if it's possible to rebuild it with new o-rings?

Note: It doesn't leak at all when not being pressed, but as soon as I press the primer, it squirts from beneath the rubber plunger.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
In the nearly 20 years of forum reading I haven't heard of anyone who has found a rebuild or o-ring kit. Replacement is the only option.

Reactions: RedneckRam

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just an update...I was able to replace the o-rings on the priming button, and it's not leaking anymore. Seems to have fixed the issue surprisingly. Now I'm having trouble bleeding the system, but I'll probably make another post on that. I don't think this new issue is connected to the priming button now.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Glad you got it fixed...how old is the pump? If the o-rings failed due to age, the rest of the pump mechanism may not be far behind....just a thought

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you got it fixed...how old is the pump? If the o-rings failed due to age, the rest of the pump mechanism may not be far behind....just a thought
It's the stock pump to my knowledge, so yeah...it's probably on its last leg. Not looking forward to changing it at some point, haha.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Better to do it when it's convenient than when you are stranded. FYI, I would (I learned the hard way) call Cummins (it's a dealer item) and order the "O" ring that goes to on the hard line on top of fuel pump and call Dodge and order the elbow hose that goes between the pump and pre-screen. At the dealer, it's about 7 dollars, elsewhere it's double or more.
Do you have a fuel gauge? It will allow you to both monitor the lift pump and filter life so you can spend you money better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same issue. Did you notice any change in performance when fixed?
Still can't get the damn thing started lol

Reactions: sowdal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update:

I replaced the lift pump with a chinese so-called Cummins brand one, and it primed after the third pump with no leaks from the pump. It seems, as suggest by @GAmes and @Loud Pedal, the only option was to replace it. I took apart the old lift pump. It was one of the ones made in England, which is a real bummer, but you could tell the internals were all worn out.

Thanks for your responses, y'all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts