Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Solo P1693, no "P ECU" "P PCU"

6006 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mikey35974
Before I get in trouble, I have read the threads about this one, especially this one:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/139687-p1693-codes-solo.html

When I do the key on-off-on-off-on, I get P1693, P DONE, and back to the trip meter/odo. I don't get separate "P PCU" and "P ECU." I do wait long enough. It never says either.

I got the code and another when I accidentally disconnected the MAP sensor with key on when I was diagnosing the broken oil pressure sender. The 1693 and MAP code came up.

I haven't had any luck clearing the P1693 with a battery disconnect or a code reader (which didn't find any other codes after I cleared the MAP code). I may not have had 40 drive cycles since then.

Maybe the ECU on the ETH engine doesn't give the "P PCU" "P ECU" messages. Any thoughts?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
When I do the key on-off-on-off-on, I get P1693, P DONE, and back to the trip meter/odo. I don't get separate "P PCU" and "P ECU." I do wait long enough. It never says either.

Maybe the ECU on the ETH engine doesn't give the "P PCU" "P ECU" messages. Any thoughts?
Mine doesn't show like that either. It just does the P-done like yours. I think it probably is the '02's that do it that way.

· Registered
6 Posts
p1693 ONLY

mine does that too. Flashes P1693 and then P done and then back to the odometer.

nothing else.

I disconnected the computer and batteries and reconnected and it stayed the same. is this an issue?

01' 5sp. auto

· Registered
943 Posts
i thought it was 2000 and up you could pull codes but all i get on my 2000 is the p1693 as whell, I have to put a scanner on it to get the codes:music019:

· Mopar1973Man.Com
26,034 Posts
I've been hearing that most all 2001 model year truck having a problem with P1693 and not dumping the ECM/ECU codes...

Two choices...
  1. Use a scanner and pull the codes. But if that doesn't pull the codes then...
  2. Go to a Dodge dealer and have then pull the codes and find out why the ECM is dumpping the codes.
And it looks like I need to do a re-write on the Solo 1693 thread ann update my web page for this problem...

But this is a good reason the P1693 code get blamed for every time a Vp44 or lift pump dies because the P1693 code is generated from the codes on the ECM and places the P1693 code in the PCM so when the key trick is used the P1693 code displays from the PCM and the ECM never displays...:doh:

But here is what it should look like...
YouTube - Error Code Dumping

Reactions: mikey35974

· Registered
1 Posts
had 911 post and led your way

looks like i'll have to go the obd route tried and tried and waited and waited and all i got was p 1693. can you set a can connector up and read codes off a laptop using rs232 protocal. by the way thinks for the code post its good to klnow for someone new to diesel's. i just wish i could figure out why mine is t.k.o.ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.