Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Solid Roller Lifters for 2019+

43K views 327 replies 37 participants last post by  cumminsturbofreak 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT December 2023: Cummins roller itself is the problem. Only real solution is a flat tappet conversion.
See new thread here! https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/flat-tappet-lifters-for-2019.2588287/

Alternatively, the expensive and custom Jesel rollers sold by Wagler can be considered a solution, but there currently is little real world knowledge on robustness of this setup. Choose carefully.

Been doing some digging and someone (Wagler) is finally offering a solid roller lifter conversion for 2019+ trucks.

It uses the factory ISB adjustable rockers, but just replaces the internals of the hydraulic lifter with a solid spacer. Also uses custom pushrods as 2019 uses different ball on lifter and different length.

Seems like a permanent solution for when the hydraulic lifters go bad.

#93 ·
Someone at Cummins must know what is going on with the changes in their hydraulic roller lifters.

How would someone contact that person?

#94 ·
They most likely won't say anything. My dad had his Cat C3406B engine rebuilt by a reputable shop and they used all CAT parts. 5000kms he was having half the engine rebuilt because one of the redesigned cam follower clips had failed and did a lot of damage including destroying the cam. The clip failing allowed the cam to rotate 90 degrees and the rest is self explanatory.

The shop had access to the TSB from CAT to not use these new clips and yet they would not warranty the engine. Even though those were the parts that CAT sent them.

#95 ·
What makes it worse is if the shop wanted to make a stink about it CAT would've just revoked his CAT distribution license. If we ever get to take back our countries we are going to need a lot of rope.

#96 ·
Cummins definitely wouldn’t disclose anything. I even called them to order these lifters direct, and they stated Chrysler has exclusive rights to purchase them. It’s pretty obvious who spec'd out the hydraulic roller setup and CP4s…

#97 ·
Its not accidental that the newer the vehicle the bigger the piece of s***. It's all part of the "you'll own nothing and be happy eating your bug sandwich."

Ram deliberately chose the CP4 knowing that it isn't designed for our sh!tty quality fuel in North America. Regular gas in much of Europe is 91 octane not 87 like it is here

Check out the 6.6 and 3.0 Duramax diesels requiring the TopTeir diesel.

#98 ·
No they chose the CP4 because it was best bang for the buck to meet higher fuel pressures for emissions requirements. However, IMO the failure rate was higher as it was over driven compared to the other brands.

The hydraulic setup was spec'd because of NVH. They wanted something a lot quieter than the last gen. I guess they figured there wouldn’t be much problems since the other brands have had rollers in their trucks since about forever.🤷🏻‍♂️

Thing is Cummins can’t make a good roller setup. Look at ISXs, they eat cams too.

I think it has to do with cam hardness personally.

#99 ·
Which camshaft did you decide to go with?

#100 ·
Wagler stage 1 as that’s all I knew about when ordering. I didn’t even know Hamilton had a setup.

#101 ·
Are the Cummins cams made by garbage?

#105 ·
Yeah they definitely redesigned something. Even the body is more machined near the roller pedestal than before, which increases cost.

Reactions: elephantrider
#106 ·
How the tool moves the lifter into position.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Gear

Magnet inserted into ball cup.
Gadget Communication Device Camera Cameras & optics Audio equipment

Lifted into position.
Product Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Portable communications device

All lifted into position.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Hood Car

Drinkware Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Rim

Cam installed.
Gear Automotive tire Auto part Engineering Rim

Rockers and pushrods installed with .010” intake and .018” exhaust.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold

😃
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Automotive design Vehicle

#109 ·
Timing cover and the whole front of the truck isn’t on yet…

And I’m also doing the HVAC box replacement TSB while I have the R134 and coolant out. So now I have to pull the dash🫣.

Your engine oil dipstick is inserted upside down.

Don‘t bullllllyyyyyyyy me; I DO NOT have OCD.

:geek:
It pissed me off when I looked closer, but by then, I wasn’t going back out to flip it around lol.

#108 ·
Your engine oil dipstick is inserted upside down.

Don‘t bullllllyyyyyyyy me; I DO NOT have OCD.

:geek:

#110 ·
Made these with my label printer.🤓
Font Plant Rectangle Event Label

Hood Bumper Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive exterior

#115 ·
Probably.

#116 · (Edited)
WOW!

So I started it, and, boy is it QUIET! No more ticking above 1500rpm!

And as a bonus, exhaust sounds great with the cam!

#117 ·
Right on man!

#123 ·
Take a video with door open, point camera at radius arm, and rev slowly up to 2000 RPM.

#124 ·
This is the difference. The hydraulic noise video is from the buyback 2019, but 2019 2500 had the same noise.

#127 ·
That truck only had 6k miles too. They put a new engine and it still made noise. Then got my Red truck used and same thing lol.

I guess I just have some bad luck with those hydraulic roller lifters.🤷🏻‍♂️

#131 ·
Ah, I found it. This is what led me to do this huge $3500 repair.

Took video at bank drive-thru. Was getting worse and worse…

#136 ·
That sounds… pretty bad.😬

#141 ·
I’m going to be putting the mopar install tool for sale soon, so if anyone wants it, PM me before I get rid of it.

#142 ·
You could rent it out too?
There's a lot of people on the TDI forum that will rent their timing belt tools since you need a certain set to properly do a timing belt job.

#145 ·
Is there any way the cam lifter tool will work for mushroom flat tappet lifters on the earlier engines?
Can it be modified to work on the earlier engines?

I suspect this tool was quite pricey...

#148 ·
Nop, it’s specially made for the rollers, and you can’t really install the rollers without this tool.

I paid more than $1k for this tool…