Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to rebuild a NV4500 that i will then swap into my 98.0 12v QCSB.
I am looking for a place that provides solid brass syncros.

Quad4x4, blumenthals, Zumbrota all dont carry them. So far the only place i have seen that claims to have them is smartpartsauto for $185 shipped

My question is does anyone know of any other place to get these and also does anyone have experience with them? Are they worth it? How do they perform etc?

My reasoning to use them instead of the oem carbon fiber lined ones is then i can use standard synthetic gear oil instead of the ridiculously expensive GL-4/syntorq. 2 oil changes and they start paying for themselves.

·
Rescue Tower
10,813 Posts
Been a while since I've talked directly to anybody that used them. Those I have spoke with were less than impressed with them. Pretty notchy shifting, like driving a big boy truck without a clutch brake.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have first hand experience with them? I found another thread where you dissed them just wondering if its what you heard or what, seems most posts from those that have run them say they shift a little bit slower but don't seem to be hugely different.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I was happy with stock synchros and Torco RTF.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called smartpartsauto and they aren't selling the kit right now because they cant keep up with their demand for them for their in house rebuilds, said it could be weeks before they would sell me one.

Called standard transmission but they have yet to call me back with an answer.

Still looking...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will have to call them and see if they will sell just the syncros, i already ordered a master rebuild kit with mainshaft and 5th gear minus syncros for $309.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
East coast only sells them in a full rebuild kit. Standard transmission does not carry them... search continues...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still haven't found anyplace that sells them. It doesn't look like they make them anymore which is a bit disconcerting... if they where any good they shouldn't be hard to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts