Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spoke with Shawn at IP&D the other day and got some weird info. All of these soft codes that we are throwing from our deletes and deleting with the Edge on startup are actually getting stored in the ECM. After it happens about 3 times or so, the ECM goes into a protection mode and detunes the engine to roughly 10% or so. The only way he said you could clear the codes is with a Snapon Modis or a solaris or one of the high-end diagnostic tools. Then you would of course need a complete code free kit. I haven't heard this before, but Shawn seems very knowledgeable on the 6.7. I wonder if any car shops around have one of those expensive diagnostic tools that we can mess with.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
So I spoke with Shawn at IP&D the other day and got some weird info. All of these soft codes that we are throwing from our deletes and deleting with the Edge on startup are actually getting stored in the ECM. After it happens about 3 times or so, the ECM goes into a protection mode and detunes the engine to roughly 10% or so. The only way he said you could clear the codes is with a Snapon Modis or a solaris or one of the high-end diagnostic tools. Then you would of course need a complete code free kit. I haven't heard this before, but Shawn seems very knowledgeable on the 6.7. I wonder if any car shops around have one of those expensive diagnostic tools that we can mess with.
That is interesting...first I've heard of it:popcorn:

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is some truth in that because when i took my truck to autozone to have the codes deleted it did seem to run better than it does with codes.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Would be interesting to see if this is true. 10% is a big #.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He told me that he's seen it go up to 20% on some trucks.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but didnt BADP state that there was a noticeable difference in the code free kit and non code free. I believe their testing with the code free showed improved fuel mileage over the non code free. Which could mean that the truck picked up that lost 10% that gave it better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Interesting. It would be nice to know all these little secrets about the ECM from the get go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know that the first tank of fuel that I ran, after the deletes, got the best mileage. But I have not seen any codes at all.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that the first tank of fuel that I ran, after the deletes, got the best mileage. But I have not seen any codes at all.
How are you not throwing soft codes with the deletes? Even if you have the Edge to clear them, they supposedly still get stored in the ECM.

·
5,055 Posts
He has a magic truck. He hasnt had any since installing it that i recall. I have been wondering the same, but good luck to him and hopefully it stays that way for him.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! That's crazy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
doesn't he have the code free kit?

·
5,055 Posts
I dont believe so.

·
Registered
750 Posts
We need to get Shawn on here to write us a sticky to what he knows and is willing to share with us. I think that this would help out alot of people into understanding what our trucks are doing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I read about all of this store codes thing long before i got my truck. Said somthing on here about it and nobody seemed to want to listen or care. My understanding is this new ecm has a lot of preobd3 extras in it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We need to get Shawn on here to write us a sticky to what he knows and is willing to share with us. I think that this would help out alot of people into understanding what our trucks are doing.
That would be a long sticky.. He seems to know alot.

·
5,055 Posts
I dont doubt that much information is stored in these trucks. I am curious how much it actually effects the everyday running of the truck vs just logging info.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I want to know. I wonder if this whole power loss due to the codes is true or not.

·
5,055 Posts
might explain the low dyno #s that i had. Either that or the obvious lack of fuel. LOL

1 - 20 of 47 Posts