Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

221 - 239 of 239 Posts

·
The Uppity 12v Guy
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Swapped in some Red Line MTL this last weekend, shift quality has improved by an almost ridiculous level for only changing the oil. Had 60-70 degree temps today, and even at these moderate temperatures the thinner oil makes a huge difference. Even when fully warmed up, it seems smoother as well. Just glides into the next gear without the occasional hiccup or hesitation like it used to.

The marketing propaganda says something about the oil being less slippery for improved synchro performance. Maybe there's an element of truth to it?

·
Registered
16,911 Posts
I removed the Delvac from mine for the winter because it flat wouldn't shift when cold. When the lows were staying above 40 I put it back in. Wouldn't you know I'd get assigned a trailer to Edmonton. It was snowing when I got there. :doh:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Swapped in some Red Line MTL this last weekend, shift quality has improved by an almost ridiculous level for only changing the oil. Had 60-70 degree temps today, and even at these moderate temperatures the thinner oil makes a huge difference. Even when fully warmed up, it seems smoother as well. Just glides into the next gear without the occasional hiccup or hesitation like it used to.

The marketing propaganda says something about the oil being less slippery for improved synchro performance. Maybe there's an element of truth to it?
Yeah, it's good stuff. I ran it in my 241 transfer case and it held up better than regular Dex III ATF. I also ran it in my NP205. I know a guy who runs it 50/50 mix with MT-90 in his NV4500 and claims it works as good as the factory Syntorq. I was afraid to risk it, so I went with the Syntorq in mine, but when fluid change time comes around I may try it.

Also, did you smell it? It smells like new vinyl (i.e. naugahyde) :) Not sure if that is because of the base oil or an additive, but I noticed the blue stuff I drained out of an Eaton FS-6406 had the same smell.

I removed the Delvac from mine for the winter because it flat wouldn't shift when cold. When the lows were staying above 40 I put it back in. Wouldn't you know I'd get assigned a trailer to Edmonton. It was snowing when I got there. :doh:
When you said "Delvac" I didn't realize you were talking about Delvac 50. The Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF (spec'd for Allison transmissions) and the similar Castrol Transynd are both based on PAO base stocks with some POE and an impressive ad-pack. If the 5600 was spec'd for ATF, those two would be the ones I would run if I didn't do like D89 and run MTL.

·
The Uppity 12v Guy
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
We run Transynd in our Allisons at work. Some of the older units are over 25,000 hours on the original transmission. I would have been impressed enough with those numbers, but an hour on a garbage truck is much harder on equipment than an hour in most other vocations.

·
Registered
16,911 Posts
Delvac 50 is the closest to what the G56 was designed for that is readily available. Why Dodge specified
atf+4 surely has something to do with them holding the patent. Standard Transmission in Ft. Worth was recommending Pennzoil Synchromesh, which is what I used for quite awhile and again when I couldn't shift. I'm sticking with the Delvac 50 to see how long the front bearing lasts. It has proven to be the weak link on mine. I don't have any shifting issues now that spring is here.

As for using anything except Syntorq in NV4500s, I can speak a little to that too. Maybe one in a hundred owners put enough working miles on their pickups to verify if an alternate lube works well. I'm one of those. Of the 12 transmissions I went through, the longest lasting ones were lubed with Syntorq. Amsoil MT-1 transmissions rarely made the 50,000 mile oil change mark. Considering that, I never tried any other oil.

·
The 10th Man
4,344 Posts
Interesting Findings on the Amsoil MT-1. I ran MTG for a while, probably not that much different. Last I heard, Syntorq was impossible to get a hold of, quad4x4 now recommends Redline MT-85 in the NV4500's so that's what I'm running, fingers crossed.

On G56 temps, I havn't seen any decent compilation of temps, and because I finally hauled something worth mentioning, here's a rundown of the trends I've noticed. This is with 70°F ambient, running Castrol CD50, which is basically a Delvac-50 equivalent. I'm also using a K-Type thermocouple, so that should be fairly accurate.

Sub-6000lb @ 60MPH or Below: Max I'm seen is 140°F even in OD.
6000lb going 70MPH: Maxed out at 159°F. Typically floated around 154-156°F.
ToMuch™lb going 65MPH: Maxed out at 165°F. That was going up a series of hills, otherwise it was floating around 157-159°F.

I'd be interested to hear how your guy's temps compair.

·
The Uppity 12v Guy
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Drove the truck a few hundred miles the other day, and this fluid change did not seem to impact the running temp at all. Stayed exactly the same.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I can't find a tranny anywhere near me for a decent price. Shipping and core charges put it way out of my budget.

·
Registered
16,911 Posts
My cost was in the neighborhood of $3000 and I already had a clutch pedal and clutch linkage. I recouped a little of it by selling my NV4500 plus it's parts but it was easily $2500 when all was said and done. In my case it was a tax write-off so that helped too. My incentive was a trail of broken transmissions, so in that regard it has paid for itself. I'm not sure but I think it has about a half million on it now, with two minor repairs.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Just thought I'd update this thread insofar as my search for a G56 is concerned. Every single G56 for sale near me on carpart is STILL available, so they're not such a hot commodity as the junkyards would have you believe. Anyone ever lowball a junkyard?

·
Registered
16,911 Posts
How much are the junkyards asking? I don't know about lowballing, but I'm sure a price could be negotiated.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
How much are the junkyards asking? I don't know about lowballing, but I'm sure a price could be negotiated.
$3,000 + core charge which runs anywhere from $500 to well over $1,000. And, these transmissions have 150k+ miles. I'm not in an area where they're plentiful like AZ or TX.

I don't know, the 47re is flawless after I tracked down the gremlins, it's just not a great tranny for towing heavy in the mountains.

·
Registered
16,911 Posts
$3000 plus a core is robbery. It would cost less to source one in the middle of the country and drive there to get it.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
$3000 plus a core is robbery. It would cost less to source one in the middle of the country and drive there to get it.
Tell me about it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just paid 2450.00 for mine in the SF bay area with a 500 core taking it to ~3k... Seems to be the going rate at junkyards at least sadly. I did a quick search through the Midwest for you and came up with similar prices, seems about 2500 is the lowest I have seen but there is no core listed, which I am sure they will surprise you with if you give them a call.

·
Armchair Mechanic
1,583 Posts
@dauntless89 I know it will take quite a while but is there anyway that you could update the pictures throughout this thread. Appears that post image has had a problem and none of the pictures are showing up, at least for me? I’m going to start amassing parts for the swap and this thread is a great resource if the pictures were visalbe.

·
The Uppity 12v Guy
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Yes, the domain registry yanked their URL without warning and it was changed. I will update as I have time. Trying to get packed up and sell my house though so it happens when it happens.

221 - 239 of 239 Posts