Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I narrowed the injectors down to the SDX 5x14's. Now I've got everything pretty much narrowed down except for the turbo. Which turbo is best for these injectors?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
fill out your signature so we know what mods you currently have done with your truck

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought the truck and its completely stock except for dv's but i'm going to do it all up. I know I need to do a few things before installing the turbo but im just getting a game plan together.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
auto or stick ??

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its automatic

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice.

You should still fill out your sig.

>User Cp >Edit Signature: blah blah blah...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Im going with sdx 5x14's or 16's and an engineered diesel 62/71/14

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where could I look at one of them turbos? Are they pretty good?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I hope you have a good money tree your looking at some dough to build up that auto and a turbo that will like your 5x.014's

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where could I look at one of them turbos? Are they pretty good?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
if your truck is stock and its auto then your youd be stupid putting any power mods like that right now, its just gonna slip like crazy and the powers not gonna get to the ground, your gonna need to add at least a better torque converter and a valve body upgrade.

·
Registered
203 Posts
x2^ intake 4 in exhaust at least, gauges.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Always do upgrade the supporting cast first...

Trans
Exhaust
Gauges
Intake

Then start adding power...

You will be glad you did down the road...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not trying to be rude but I said earlier on that I'm just trying to get a game plan together first. I'm not stupid enough to just go straight to injectors lol. I'm gonna do the tranny then all the free mods and then injectors and stuff.

·
Wyoming Eastern President
2,964 Posts
Ok,

Tell us your plans then for the truck so we can better help you

Or you could fill out your sig, you know to help us help you.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
oh ok well just making sure good plan, so anyways did you see what i posted in your other thread>> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...discussion/283090-how-about-s300-variant.html

basically s300 based turbos are the norm for aftermarket turbos for our trucks but as far as size i think a 64/68/14 is gonna be your best bet.

the 71mm and bigger exhaust wheels probably are gonna be more laggy than youll like thats why the 68 is about as best as you can get for all around driveability. the 71 has more top end and more lag, the 65 has low end and no top end,..but the exhaust wheel determines lag. the bd super b special(64/71/.8ish a/r) uses a 71mm exhaust wheel for comparisons

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really appreciate that input. So would a 64 work well with the 140's? And if you don't mind me asking, what does a 64/68/14 stand for?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
yes that would work pretty good, youll have a lot of fuel and that should support it, now for this 64/68/14: the first number is the compressor wheel diameter in mm, the second number is the turbine or exhaust wheel in mm and the 3rd number can be seen two ways but its the size of the exhausting housing, as for 14 it stands for 14 cm2, the other way it can be seen is in a/r, its a ratio of the exhaust discharge area vs the distance from the center of turbine wheel to the center of the cross sectional area. Smaller A/R housing has faster spool up. Bigger A/R housing has less back pressure, more flow for the top end.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the super B (s300) with those injectors, but I value good response from my turbos as well as smokeless take offs. Others may rather have less response, more smoke and more top end. I tend to error on the side of a larger than needed injectors, then use the proper fuel plate to get it where I want it. Are you asking what is the largest turbo you can light with 5x14s?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts