Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

SO VP44 Price differences - vendor input encouraged

4168 43
As far as I can tell, there are three general levels of pricing when it comes to remanufactured SO VP's: $900-$1000, $1200-$1300, and $1600-$1700. All of the sites that offer these pumps state that they are rebuilt by certified Bosch rebuilders with all of the current updates. According to Bosch the most important updates are steel bushings and new electronics. All of the pumps I have seen offer a 1 year warranty regardless of price. So if all of these pumps are rebuilt according to the same standards, and all offer the same warranty, what accounts for the price difference? What do you get for $1200 that you don't get for $1000? Are the low priced pumps old stock that at one time were Bosch certified (i.e. in the era of brass bushings) or is it pure markup on the part of the guys selling for the higher price? I cannot find a site that sells at all three or even just two of these levels. It seems to be one price level per site, so there really isn't an apples to apples explanation out there that I can find. I'm trying to make an informed decision...

Thanks in advance for any input.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,446 Posts
good question, i'm interested too. let's hear it!

· Registered
50 Posts
this is a great question.it makes vendors be accountable for their prices.if a vendor gets mad for asking questions like this,maybe you should think twice before giving them your hard earned money...my 2 cents

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
As far as I can figure the difference is advertising and profit desired to keep doors open. Sheet of paper will allow anything to be printed upon them. Voices can hark their values with no repercussion for near truths and supposed advantages. Sometimes the benefits are far removed from the truth. Anyone recall fuel magnets, tornado fans, fuel pills mixed with water, Benefits of several stp products, weight loss gimmicks............ Need I go on....
On VP44's, don't buy one painted black or stamped built in CHEZ. Don't buy a used one that ran good yesterday cause it won't run good when you put it on. These are called cores.
If you need a good IP pay 1000 dollars and be done. If you are insecure or need bragging rights then pay 1600 dollars. Some of the 1600 $ hot rods don't have warranty if that tells you something. Remember bragging rights cost. JMHO of course.

· Registered
369 Posts
just thinking aloud here...

does it have to do at all with the core charge? for example, the $1600 pumps include lets say a $500 core in the purchase price which is refunded upon receipt of your old vp44. whereas the 1100 vp44 does not include the core and maybe instead if they dont receive your core in 30 days they tack on that extra 500 bucks??

· Vendor
13,007 Posts
autozone has a 1 year warranty on their lowest quality starter. My brother went through 3 of them in a year....

As a vendor I don't like returns or warranty work. Its a hassle for everyone involved, down time, paperwork, waiting etc. When installation takes 3-5 hours its not worth it to go cheap.

It is possible to have good pricing and have a HIGH QUALITY product.

· Vendor
13,007 Posts
Prices for core charge should have nothing to do with quality. Those vendors that waive a core charge for 30 days are making an extra effort and some risk to help the customer get back on the road with a expense.

· Premium Member
1,019 Posts
From my standpoint, the difference in a $1100 VP and a $1600 VP is $500.

The vendors out there can buy their pumps a few different ways. But we demand that we get pumps that are completely rebuilt with new computers. Yes, there are gusy buying pumps for much less from a fix it and ship it shop that charge the same money.

It all comes down to who you want to deal with and how much you trust their integrity.

Dave

· Registered
369 Posts
Prices for core charge should have nothing to do with quality. Those vendors that waive a core charge for 30 days are making an extra effort and some risk to help the customer get back on the road with a expense.

Im not relating core to quality, im merely wondering if the reason for the price difference is the different methods of collecting the core?

· Vendor
13,007 Posts
Im not relating core to quality, im merely wondering if the reason for the price difference is the different methods of collecting the core?
Got it, great question. There are people selling the SAME pump for $1600 +core that other vendors are selling for many hundreds less +core.

I checked out Autozone the other day and they charge about $2400 + core for a vp44.:shock:

· Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Got it, great question. There are people selling the SAME pump for $1600 +core that other vendors are selling for many hundreds less +core.

I checked out Autozone the other day and they charge about $2400 + core for a vp44.:shock:
Holy cow they're proud of their pumps. There's some braggin rights for ya. :hehe:

· Registered
361 Posts
As far as I can figure the difference is advertising and profit desired to keep doors open. Sheet of paper will allow anything to be printed upon them. Voices can hark their values with no repercussion for near truths and supposed advantages. Sometimes the benefits are far removed from the truth. Anyone recall fuel magnets, tornado fans, fuel pills mixed with water, Benefits of several stp products, weight loss gimmicks............ Need I go on....
On VP44's, don't buy one painted black or stamped built in CHEZ. Don't buy a used one that ran good yesterday cause it won't run good when you put it on. These are called cores.
If you need a good IP pay 1000 dollars and be done. If you are insecure or need bragging rights then pay 1600 dollars. Some of the 1600 $ hot rods don't have warranty if that tells you something. Remember bragging rights cost. JMHO of course.
i gotta ask, whats the deal with the vp's that are painted black? who does that and how do we make sure we dont buy one?
when i had to replace mine the shop i went to put a black one in. it lasted all of 600 miles, but they put in a second one at no charge, and its still doing duty 35000 miles later.

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
I think your 50% failure rate says enough. It is my guess they are remans from some country such as China, or even worse. Suspect the profit margin is sufficent to put two free ones on if need be. The vendor should be able to tell who warranties the unit. JMHO of course.

· Registered
21 Posts
there are differences but the warranty is the same,I sell them all day long for 1050.00,we have only had a few failures,all rebuilt pumps we sell have had the computers repalced,for fuel injection shop to be able to rebuild these pumps,they have to be bosch certified,and make a investment of about 150,000 dollars for equipment and computerized teststand.

· Vendor
13,007 Posts
Mine are nice shiny silver pumps. Excellent pumps with all updates and a super price.

· Registered
1,329 Posts
Mine are nice shiny silver pumps. Excellent pumps with all updates and a super price.
Agreed. I plan on abusing the pump I got from you for years to come. At 15psi from the fass of course. And it was under a thousand bucks! :headbang:

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Megabuck investment for reman facility, and BOSCH backed warranty are a big part of these delicate devices. I'm sure the replacement parts are anything but cheap repoductions from some third world area to qualify for Bosch warranty.
really glad some vendors have come online with their side. Come on guys, speak up, but no BS hype please.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.