Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would be real concerned with the rivets coming loose then hitting the fan and becoming projectiles.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,384 Posts
Not sure how much gap you want to get down to but another option would be a spacer or washers on the engine side shroud mounting bracket/stud, to move the engine shroud closer to the radiator shroud. You could probably use a 1/4" (or 3/16...3/8"?) spacer between the shroud and the mushroom mount plate and still have enough stud left for the nut.....

Sam

shroud.jpg

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
That’s not a bad idea. But would it be better on the outside and maybe a thinner gauge metal? Something that still allows movement? 22 gauge or thinner? Using rivets with wider heads?
Thought is that putting the reinforcement on the inside, riveting from the outside with backer washers under the rivet heads to avoid pull through, would keep airflow vacuum from pulling the rubber in.

And, it would still have flexibility to allow for engine movement.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I would be real concerned with the rivets coming loose then hitting the fan and becoming projectiles.
Would rivet from the outside, so any loose rivet wouldn't fall into the fan.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Not sure how much gap you want to get down to but another option would be a spacer or washers on the engine side shroud mounting bracket/stud, to move the engine shroud closer to the radiator shroud. You could probably use a 1/4" (or 3/16...3/8"?) spacer between the shroud and the mushroom mount plate and still have enough stud left for the nut.....

Sam

View attachment 907694
Those mounting studs have a shoulder that aligns the shroud so if you space it much it wouldn't hold alignment correctly.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,384 Posts
Those mounting studs have a shoulder that aligns the shroud so if you space it much it wouldn't hold alignment correctly.
Even if you space all the mount studs the same?

Sam

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm going to throw this out there....I wonder if the fan starts to suck the rubber shroud in because it can't draw enough air in through the heat exchangers (radiator, innercooler, ect). The fan is going to suck air in from somewhere and if it can't suck enough in through the front of the truck it starts sucking in the shroud? Just a thought and I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Even if you space all the mount studs the same?

Sam
Yes, the shoulders hold the shroud concentric to the fan, any misalignment would let the fan blade touch the shroud ring that surrounds the fan.

I measured it with my digital caliper, after hunting for the batteries for it, and the alignment shoulder on the mounting stud is .512"/13mm, and the max I could safely space the shroud and still keep it on the shoulder is about 4 or maybe 5mm, so less than 1/4". I don't know if that will do enough good.

And, after looking at my idea for reinforcing the rubber, I don't think that is going to work, nor will extending the hard rubber shroud. It's so tight with the radiator installed that there just won't be enough room to get it in there either way.

Spacing the shroud looks like about all I can do, just don't know if it will be enough.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes, the shoulders hold the shroud concentric to the fan, any misalignment would let the fan blade touch the shroud ring that surrounds the fan.

I measured it with my digital caliper, after hunting for the batteries for it, and the alignment shoulder on the mounting stud is .512"/13mm, and the max I could safely space the shroud and still keep it on the shoulder is about 4 or maybe 5mm, so less than 1/4". I don't know if that will do enough good.

And, after looking at my idea for reinforcing the rubber, I don't think that is going to work, nor will extending the hard rubber shroud. It's so tight with the radiator installed that there just won't be enough room to get it in there either way.

Spacing the shroud looks like about all I can do, just don't know if it will be enough.
I think 1/4” is tons. If too much. It’s going to put much more pressure on the rad shroud.

What about the rubber strip glued to the outside to add some structure to it. Same theory as the Alum.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I'm going to throw this out there....I wonder if the fan starts to suck the rubber shroud in because it can't draw enough air in through the heat exchangers (radiator, innercooler, ect). The fan is going to suck air in from somewhere and if it can't suck enough in through the front of the truck it starts sucking in the shroud? Just a thought and I could be totally wrong.
Oh, yes, I'm sure the fan is sucking the soft rubber in because it pulls more air than can flow through the radiator and the a/c condenser and the trans cooler.

That would be the only other thing to possibly do, cut holes or sections of the soft rubber away so it doesn't create so much vacuum on it.

It needs trap doors in it so that when it pulls so hard they open and let the air pass through.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I think 1/4” is tons. If too much. It’s going to put much more pressure on the rad shroud.

What about the rubber strip glued to the outside to add some structure to it. Same theory as the Alum.
I can't imagine any glue lasting in that environment.

The shroud needs to be made of stiffer material, that's one thing they did to the 2019+ trucks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Can you cut the brackets and weld in spacers? That way you would not have the stud/shroud alignment problem.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Just got back from looking at the shroud on my 15. Mine looks fine and is positioned well. Its 5 years old also. So is the shroud bending the fan blades into the radiator? What if we look at this differently. What about using it the way it is and going with a metal fan. I am not even sure one is available but if we could have some made with metal blades the blades could just chop the shroud up and preserve the radiator. Maybe a billet fan even.
I would also be ok with upping the command on temperature limit. I would rather run 20 degrees hotter and try to cool the temps down with the throttle and speed before the fan is commanded on at 100%. Or limit the command on rpm.
On the bright side if you get the Ford you will have more room to work on it once the cab is out of the way. LOL. Just got done helping a buddy with his and glad i don’t have one.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Can you cut the brackets and weld in spacers? That way you would not have the stud/shroud alignment problem.
No, not cutting and welding anything!

If I have to go that far I will just give up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
And risk that 750.00 new radiator?!

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Just got back from looking at the shroud on my 15. Mine looks fine and is positioned well. Its 5 years old also. So is the shroud bending the fan blades into the radiator? What if we look at this differently. What about using it the way it is and going with a metal fan. I am not even sure one is available but if we could have some made with metal blades the blades could just chop the shroud up and preserve the radiator. Maybe a billet fan even.
I would also be ok with upping the command on temperature limit. I would rather run 20 degrees hotter and try to cool the temps down with the throttle and speed before the fan is commanded on at 100%. Or limit the command on rpm.
On the bright side if you get the Ford you will have more room to work on it once the cab is out of the way. LOL. Just got done helping a buddy with his and glad i don’t have one.
No, fan blade on mine broke off when it got tangled in the rubber from the shroud.

And, no, no metal fan available to fit the clutch. I think they make a hub to replace the clutch, then you can run a direct drive fan, but then you have to tune it or put up with a constant CEL because the clutch isn't working anymore.

And, I'm not worried about a ford were I to get one, never had the cab off my 2012 f250, only time you have to do that is if the engine needs disassembly.

Dad's truck has 479K on it and never had the cab off.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Went down to the hardware store and picked up a bunch of washers to use for spacers, will see what I can make fit.

And, I just got an email from amazon saying my radiator will be delivered thursday instead of friday like was originally predicted, YEA!!!

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,384 Posts
I haven't looked that closely at the shroud and brackets but is it possible to do the same spacer thing where the brackets mount to the motor....?
A 1/4' here and 1/4" there begins to add up.

Best of luck(y)
Sam

·
Registered
368 Posts
Maybe the new upgraded radiator will cause the water temp to be lower and in that case not need the fan as much.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Maybe the new upgraded radiator will cause the water temp to be lower and in that case not need the fan as much.
In the summer ac prob calls for the fan more often than engine heat. Depending on engine load of course.

Maybe not at speed though I’m not sure.

101 - 120 of 243 Posts