Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
The thing is that the shroud also ducts the air from the intercooler.

And, when my original shroud failed, it was basically like it wasn't there, and when towing the temps went pretty high.

I'm really stuck trying to figure something better out, going to try and go look at a new 2020 at the nearest dealer and see what I think about how they are set up, whether I can make that work.

I hate the thought of just putting the stock setup back on it.

Also, not liking the radiator choices, either oem, cheap aftermarket that is questionable quality, or big bucks aftermarket mishimoto. Would hate to put a $775 mishimoto in and then have the stock shroud get eaten again and drive a fan blade through it.
Have you considered a radiator repair rather than replacement? From the photo it looks as though it’s only a few tubes that got hit.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Have you considered a radiator repair rather than replacement? From the photo it looks as though it’s only a few tubes that got hit.
Don't know anyplace that repairs these plastic tanked radiators.

Plus, damage is pretty bad.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Well, I done did it now... 😲

Ordered the Mishimoto all aluminum 3-row core radiator.
Supposed to have 63% more coolant capacity and 41% more cooling surface area.
Makes me wonder if I could get away without the rubber shroud...:unsure:

Amazon says the concentrate coolant will be here wednesday and the radiator on friday.

So, I guess tomorrow I will try and find a 19-20 truck to look at and see if I can possibly make that setup work.

Oh, and the new fan will be here thursday.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are you going to finish the year with this truck? Or are you finished with this truck? Thinking it's served you well for 525K give or take????

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Are you going to finish the year with this truck? Or are you finished with this truck? Thinking it's served you well for 525K give or take????
Well, I sure wouldn't be putting this much money in it if I weren't going to keep it!

No plans to trade anytime soon.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Nice upgrade but I’d wager you’re going to need that shroud no matter what radiator you run.
Oh, I figured as much, had no real plans to do without it even if I could. But, I need to do something to ensure that this $750 radiator doesn't get trashed like the current one.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Take a 1.5” strip of 20 gauge metal. Rivet it on the inside lip of the shroud. The rivets sticking out. Drill holes larger than the river when you place rubber shroud on. Say 3/16 rivet and 3/8” hole in rubber so it can move around rivet. The rivet sticking up will also help catch the rubber from flipping passed.

Maybe 1.5” is too long. I’m not near my truck but you get the idea.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,868 Posts
@Ltngdrvr , If possible please take a few pictures of the left and right side of the rad before you remove the hard black shroud part. (A side shot)
I'm guessing its the left side of the soft rubber part that gets sucked into the fan past the hard shroud part. Yes?
Thank you.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
@Ltngdrvr , If possible please take a few pictures of the left and right side of the rad before you remove the hard black shroud part. (A side shot)
I'm guessing its the left side of the soft rubber part that gets sucked into the fan past the hard shroud part. Yes?
Thank you.
No, all the way around from side to side over the top, all the soft part got trashed, only the lower third that overlaps the intercooler duct was intact.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Take a 1.5” strip of 20 gauge metal. Rivet it on the inside lip of the shroud. The rivets sticking out. Drill holes larger than the river when you place rubber shroud on. Say 3/16 rivet and 3/8” hole in rubber so it can move around rivet. The rivet sticking up will also help catch the rubber from flipping passed.

Maybe 1.5” is too long. I’m not near my truck but you get the idea.
Yeah, no way a 1.5" extension would fit, maybe a 1/2 inch at most.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Went down to the nearest dealer and looked at a 2020, the shroud design is much better, solves the issues with the 13-18 shroud.

But, so much is different, different radiator dimensions, different mounting points for the shroud on the radiator and the engine side, that I just can't see any good way to make it fit.

So, I picked up some aluminum stock and will see if I can come up with a workable fix for the old setup.

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
So, I'm going to do something I don't often do, I'm going to throw something out there and see what you guys think. I've pretty much made up my mind to try my idea because trying to do it the other way is turning out to be a PITA.

I bought some 1/2x1/16 flat aluminum stock to try and extend the lip on the hard shroud on the radiator side where there is a lip that stands up, that the soft rubber part of the shroud on the engine side sits against. Thought being as suggested by others that a taller lip would help retain the soft rubber and keep it from getting sucked inside. Well, I've been out in the garage trying to figure a good way to do that and it's just not working well, and I'm afraid it will be too tall to get the soft shroud installed after the radiator is in.

So, my idea is to use the aluminum stock to reinforce the soft rubber of the shroud by attaching it directly to the rubber on the inside with rivets and backer washers.

You can see the aluminum stock inside the soft rubber approximately where it would be riveted in.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think you are on the right path on that. I have been creeping this thread and thinking about my own truck and what can be done.

You found that the shroud is a must under load, no way around that.

From previous pictures, it looks like the leading edge deteriorates and bit by bit is sucked in. I wonder if you rivet that strip of aluminum on the inside and sandwich the rubber shroud with another strip of aluminum on the outside.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That’s not a bad idea. But would it be better on the outside and maybe a thinner gauge metal? Something that still allows movement? 22 gauge or thinner? Using rivets with wider heads?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there any chance that fan simply failed first and the damage to the shroud was a result? Just spit balling? Maybe the extra engineering is not necessary? Doug

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Would using rubber cement and glueing a strip of thick tractor tire tube around the outside be an easy solution?

81 - 100 of 243 Posts