Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
1.) I'll agree that towing someone's property under contract (& without proper insurance) certainly change the dynamics.
2.) It's been my experience that (most) RVer's couldn't give a rat's ass about legality or possible ramifications.

Reactions: Drle

·
Registered
611 Posts
If the RV dealership says if can pull 5K, who are the victims to argue?

That Santa Fe will do 5K, and we will even install the hitch. Anderson or Husky?

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
That Santa Fe will do 5K, and we will even install the hitch. Anderson or Husky?
^^^ Bingo! ^^^

Reactions: Jimmy N. and Drle

·
Registered
611 Posts
When @Ltngdrvr 's rig finally grenades, this may be his replacement.

Not saying it wont tow that fifth, but since the dealership says it will, that may be good enough for dispatch to sign off.
He won't, however, be able to fill it with water, go on the roof, or step foot inside to grab a Modelo as he will be over his pin weight, and will have to air up his tires.
We are with you buddy, and wish you the best, and another 100K! But times are changing, and by the time you upgrade, this may be your best option.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

Don’t matter what anyone tells you. When you put the truck in gear. It’s on you.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Statements? Questions is what they were. I may have stated how our system works up here.
Judging by the silence to my questions I asked something he didn’t want to answer.

What’s your point? It’s ok to run illegally until you get caught? Or until your on the hook for someone else’s equipment or worse?
No question in post 247, just a declarative statement. The point is, it’s not illegal. The vehicle does double duty. Just like mine. What’s not to understand about that?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
No question in post 247, just a declarative statement. The point is, it’s not illegal. The vehicle does double duty. Just like mine. What’s not to understand about that?
The last sentence says unless I’m reading into those post wrong. So in other words fill me in.

No one has said how it works in a legal way. So please tell me how that works. It’s not that way up here, so I’m curious. Places are different and I like to learn.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
So how does your insurance cover you commercially? As a truck for hire? Surely you can’t run around with someone’s dot number and no insurance? The government and everyone want their money for the miles you put on the roads.

Must be way different than up here. If your making money pulling something for someone else, it’s commercial and the truck must be plated so and insured. I believe it’s the truck insurance that covers the trailer behind it. If I’m an accident I would be liable, if They found out I was working and not pulling my own camper on personal plates.

I got a buddy that’s visiting here from Texas I’ll have to quiz him and see how it works for his semi. I know he has an f350 too. I’m curious the differences. We plate and insure through one company in our province too. Good and bad lol
Canada and he US are very, very similar in the ways of insurance. It's why we can travel back and forth without a lot of problems.

In most States (which is who governs these things, not the Feds) you don't need commercial plates on a Class 2b truck pulling RVs for a living. Just commercial insurance, which is no big deal. At all.

As to covering the trailer, the only thing covered regarding the trailer is the liability on the truck. IOW, you hit something or someone with the trailer you're towing and it's on your truck's insurance. The trailer has no engine, no transmission, it's only being towed.

As to covering the trailer itself for physical damage, that is usually arranged through a separate policy somewhat loosely called an 'Inland Marine' policy. Although the owners of the trailers probably don't use that exact type of separate policy. They would likely be covered under their Business Owners Policy.

I don't understand where the confusion is.

Driver covers his vehicle in the case of accident, owner of the RV owner covers his property in the case of an accident.

It's really simple in the real world. The State couldn't care less.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,356 Posts
Glad to see this thread has completely devolved, and is not only off topic, but has converted to a CDL thread and arguments on commercial vehicles insurance and liability during towing.....
I'm Out GIF - ForThatReason ImOut LetterKenny - Discover & Share GIFs

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
Glad to see this thread has completely devolved, and is not only off topic, but has converted to a CDL thread and arguments on commercial vehicles insurance and liability during towing.....
I'm Out GIF - ForThatReason ImOut LetterKenny - Discover & Share GIFs'm Out GIF - ForThatReason ImOut LetterKenny - Discover & Share GIFs
I evidently woke this sleeping beast with my On-topic post yesterday (fan shroud).
I have commercial plates on my 3500, but being a proper RVer I make it a point to be ignorant of all rules & regulations.
And speaking of being a good RVer... I gotta' start hiding from CAT scales too. (y)
Just saying,
-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have commercial Plates and insurance on my pickup. When my trailer is hooked to the truck the trailer and it’s payload are covered for liability. When the trailer is connected my GCWR is just shy of 30K. Hence the class A. I have NO DOT reg as it’s not required if I remain in state and within 150 air miles of home. Thats not hard in a state 40 miles wide and 50 long. Right now I’m working in Ct. without my trailer I need no DOT reg, no fuel records, No hours of service, no CDL, etc as it’s my personal conveyance to the job site. This, even though I carry fuel and tools in the truck. That’s because it’s incidental to my job, not a direct source of income like delivering firewood at the end of the day would be. Any clearer?

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,900 Posts
I’m good with it. 👍🏻

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
Last month, while pulling out from a fuel stop, an officer stopped and asked what it was that I had on the trailer.
Then he asked if it was mine, to which I responded "Yes, I just bought it in Nevada" (this was in Utah).

Now, the weigh station was only a mile down the road, so I could've been in trouble. The load may have exceeded the trailer's 25K rating by a bit.
Anyway, the bottom line is that I was hauling my stuff with my stuff, so it was okay. Not that I had an easy way to prove that the load was mine, but it never got to that part.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
How about we put an end to this ridiculous departure from the original subject of this thread.

I've been towing RV trailers for 8 years, contracted with two different companies at different times over those years.

If ANYONE thinks I could have been doing this without being in full compliance with the rules and regulations and fully insured, they have to have ROCKS where their brains are supposed to be. The companies I have contracted with would never allow it, they would never dispatch me to haul the trailers.

It's my business, my private business, end of story.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Canada and he US are very, very similar in the ways of insurance. It's why we can travel back and forth without a lot of problems.

In most States (which is who governs these things, not the Feds) you don't need commercial plates on a Class 2b truck pulling RVs for a living. Just commercial insurance, which is no big deal. At all.

As to covering the trailer, the only thing covered regarding the trailer is the liability on the truck. IOW, you hit something or someone with the trailer you're towing and it's on your truck's insurance. The trailer has no engine, no transmission, it's only being towed.

As to covering the trailer itself for physical damage, that is usually arranged through a separate policy somewhat loosely called an 'Inland Marine' policy. Although the owners of the trailers probably don't use that exact type of separate policy. They would likely be covered under their Business Owners Policy.

I don't understand where the confusion is.

Driver covers his vehicle in the case of accident, owner of the RV owner covers his property in the case of an accident.

It's really simple in the real world. The State couldn't care less.
Thanks for effort in the response. Was no confusion as I had no inclination of what the rules were to begin with. Just wanted to know so I asked and I’ll I got was a bunch of I do it so it’s ok bs.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts