Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that haven't already seen my posts in another thread, a few days ago coming home from Las Cruces NM, on I-10 just west of Ozona TX, I was pulling a 28' travel trailer on a steep uphill grade in the left lane, running about 70-72 about to pass a 18 wheeler, just as I was about to start by him he suddenly pulled out because he failed to anticipate the slower truck in front of him. They were both going slow up the hill, but I didn't have any problem maintaining my speed.

So, I had to jump on the brakes to avoid hitting the 18, then after he got by the slower truck and pulled back over to the right, I got back on the throttle and passed him. And, just before the top of the hill all hell broke loose on my truck, temp suddenly pegged got a couple of warning messages for excessive heat and low coolant level, and of course lots of noise.

I happened to be coming up on an exit at the time so veered off onto the ramp, got up to the top and started down the other side on the entrance ramp and pulled off on the shoulder and cut it off.

Steam and coolant smell was coming out from under the hood. Popped the hood and found that the soft rubber fan shroud that bolts to the engine, the soft part that seals to the hard shroud on the radiator, had gotten sucked into the fan and broke a piece off one of the fan blades, and the piece apparently punctured the radiator.

So, got on my phone and finally found a tow service to come out and pull it into Ozona. Nobody there could fix it, no parts available, and if and when they could get the parts it was going to be outrageously expensive to get it fixed there. So, called and talked to my dad, and he agreed to come get me and the travel trailer which I had to get delivered ASAP. He came out with his F350 and we towed the trailer back and I got it delivered, then yesterday we went back to get my truck with a rental equipment trailer and I just unloaded it in my driveway.

My car is also broke down, so as soon as I get it fixed I will start on the truck.

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

Damaged radiator and fan blade.

And, part of the soft rubber from the shroud that was caught in the fan

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Ya had that happen on my 13 out in Utah pulling up a grade luckily just nicked radiator so I could finish my run out to California.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It seems like they could use a different design with at least some sort of preformed wire bead around the outer edge of the seal to give it strength and still have the flexibility for movement. Hope everything turns out good. Later

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I wonder if Max Care would warranty that. I have another 8 months. What was your RPM when that happened.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hopefully no issues with the overheating. Won’t know till she’s back up and running.

Is there a better setup other than the rubber?

·
Registered
96 Posts
For those that haven't already seen my posts in another thread, a few days ago coming home from Las Cruces NM, on I-10 just west of Ozona TX, I was pulling a 28' travel trailer on a steep uphill grade in the left lane, running about 70-72 about to pass a 18 wheeler, just as I was about to start by him he suddenly pulled out because he failed to anticipate the slower truck in front of him. They were both going slow up the hill, but I didn't have any problem maintaining my speed.

So, I had to jump on the brakes to avoid hitting the 18, then after he got by the slower truck and pulled back over to the right, I got back on the throttle and passed him. And, just before the top of the hill all hell broke loose on my truck, temp suddenly pegged got a couple of warning messages for excessive heat and low coolant level, and of course lots of noise.

I happened to be coming up on an exit at the time so veered off onto the ramp, got up to the top and started down the other side on the entrance rap and pulled off on the shoulder and cut it off.

Steam and coolant smell was coming out from under the hood. Popped the hood and found that the soft rubber fan shroud that bolts to the engine, the soft part that seals to the hard shroud on the radiator, had gotten sucked into the fan and broke a piece off one of the fan blades, and the piece apparently punctured the radiator.

So, got on my phone and finally found a tow service to come out and pull it into Ozona. Nobody there could fix it, no parts available, and if and when they could get the parts it was going to be outrageously expensive to get it fixed there. So, called and talked to my dad, and he agreed to come get me and the travel trailer which I had to get delivered ASAP. He came out with his F350 and we towed the trailer back and I got it delivered. then yesterday we went back to get my truck with a rental equipment trailer and I just unloaded it in my driveway.

My car is also broke down, so as soon as I get it fixed I will start on the truck.

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

Damaged radiator and fan blade.

And, part of the soft rubber from the shroud that was caught in the fan
Ltngdrvr, that sucks. Did you check into any kind of better shroud then what stock is? I've read about this happening before. I tow a 5er and I cringe every time I have to throttle up a hill. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yup, deleted F350 with 478K miles had to come rescue my RAM...😭

There is no ready made better replacement shroud that I know of. This is the second one to go south on my truck, first time it didn't fail catastrophically, just like it deteriorated around the edges and then let air bypass the radiator so it wouldn't cool properly.

As to RPM when it happened, probably around 2.5K in 4th gear??? I wasn't really watching that at the time, was accelerating back up to speed after the 18 wheeler cut me off.

Warranty should cover it if you still have any, I don't anymore.

·
Registered
815 Posts
do any other years have this issue? or do they have a solid shroud?

i wonder if you could swap another shroud from a different truck to prevent this from happening.

my f150 had a solid shroud that mounted to the radiator and the fan would just sit inside of it with enough room for engine movement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 05 ram had a solid shroud. They should have kept it that way.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do any other years have this issue? or do they have a solid shroud?

i wonder if you could swap another shroud from a different truck to prevent this from happening.

my f150 had a solid shroud that mounted to the radiator and the fan would just sit inside of it with enough room for engine movement.
No, radiator design is different from earlier years so no shroud from anything else would fit.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be more concerned with that photo getting out in the public than any vehicular damage.
And didn't you just have that shroud replaced?
Nah, I'm not worried at all about the pic. My next truck, if I were to get one, would probably be a super duty power stroke anyway.

And, yes, I replaced the original shroud about a year ago, then it was replaced again after the crash, so I have an almost new one in my garage that was replaced by the body shop.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not positive, but I think they changed the design on the shroud in 2018 and newer trucks, as they sort of figured out there was a issue with the older design and things going wrong!
so maybe a newer shroud set up would fit/work?
I'd look at part numbers ans ee and than maybe talk to some that work on things more often if its possible to swap set ups!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not positive, but I think they changed the design on the shroud in 2018 and newer trucks, as they sort of figured out there was a issue with the older design and things going wrong!
so maybe a newer shroud set up would fit/work?
I'd look at part numbers ans ee and than maybe talk to some that work on things more often if its possible to swap set ups!
2019 has a different part number, but the picture of it looks the same.

Most likely the redesigned front end required a change in the dimensions of it, and that is probably the only difference.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2019 has a different part number, but the picture of it looks the same.

Most likely the redesigned front end required a change in the dimensions of it, and that is probably the only difference.
You think it would fit with any modifications to it?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You think it would fit with any modifications to it?

Don't know, but doubt it.

Don't see any reason to try, the design is the same.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, and it should be live in a few days if anyone wants to add their experience or add another complaint of the same issue.

Complaint number is 11331273 www.nhtsa.gov

I filed it because it could be a safety issue if the failure were to take out the accessory belt, then you would lose power steering and brakes.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I always did wonder what those scraps of rubber were on the freeway. Now we know.

1 - 20 of 239 Posts