Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up buying a 2001 Dodge 2500 extended cab, shortbox, w/ 6sp, 4x4, power windows/locks/mirrors.

Before I start driving it what should I do to it? Filters, adjustments, etc...

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
573 Posts
1. Change the fluids to amsoil.
2. Change filters.
3. I'd install guages, fp, egt, boost, tranny temp.
4. then i'd get a FASS 95 kit for it.

Doing these things will make it reliable for years to come.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
congrats...:peelout

change oil..i use rotella T..its cheap and good

for oil filter dont use fram...k&n

check the air filter vacuum guage and see if your filters bad

did you get it home yet?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, not yet. clutch had a little slip when i test drove it so it's
being looked at, when thats done I'll get some new tires on it then bring it home and wax it :)

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Definetly replace the fuel filter and change the oil. May want to change the differentials while you're at it, just to be sure.

Do you understand the issues with the injection pump on those trucks????

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
nope, not yet. clutch had a little slip when i test drove it so it's
being looked at, when thats done I'll get some new tires on it then bring it home and wax it :)
your really gonna like the truck..you may want to tend to the rust problems though, they can get bad quick:$:

i tihnk the 2nd gens have the best body lines..you made a good choice:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
129 Posts
change all fluids.. use rotella for oil its the best and heres a joke a guy told me he said to use diesel as your fuel ha. but rotella for the oil and change all fluids and fuel filter if possible. gauges too.. all you really need with a 6 spd is egt and boost gauges and fuel pressure later on but thats not always important. get some clean and cold air running through there too

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
change all fluids.. use rotella for oil its the best and heres a joke a guy told me he said to use diesel as your fuel ha. but rotella for the oil and change all fluids and fuel filter if possible. gauges too.. all you really need with a 6 spd is egt and boost gauges and fuel pressure later on but thats not always important. get some clean and cold air running through there too
what?

fuel pressure is the most important because a low FP may be a sign for a failing VP

FP is the most important of all:w:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Change the rims, steelies just don't look good on a 2nd gen. I got a set of 3rd gen chrome glads I don't need.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seems the lift pumps they put on are junk, my injection pump went bad because of the poor lift pump on my '02, on my '01 the lift pump went bad also. Some new ones the lift pump is not putting out enough fuel. I would put on a FASS or other good pump.
I put axle grease on door lip on bottom, and where rocks hit the exposed body to stop or prevent rust, or slow it down. Running boards are the first thing I do, to stop rock damage, road splash. My son tried the Ice wax from Turtle, it seems to soak in good, will see how it works on the rock chips.Yote

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. After buying the damn thing I'm kinda broke now but as soon as I get the cash I'll be sure to get the gauges and a FASS pump in there.
As for the rims, Adam3291, I'd be happy to pay for shipping if your serious about giving up those rims. I'd love to have em as the ones on there are pretty ugly/rusted.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Air Dog 150 is not a bad choice, ive been happy with mine and the easy install, congrats on the new Cummins :thumbsup

·
Registered
144 Posts
The truck looks nice for a non-white one,lol good luck with it.Yote

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definitely need a fuel pressure gauge!!!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i got the second gen chromes that are on the truck i posted up..they come off if june or july if your interested

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
bigblue24, why do you recommend not using FRAM oil filters?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts