Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising down the highway at 60 mph in 2wd coasting and I hear a loud bang and rattle from under the truck. Was still rolling freely as I pulled over to look under truck. Seen my t-case sitting on my skid plate and my output shaft spinning out of a broken off overdrive housing. Both axles where still hooked up. Took it to the shop to see the t-case had been twisted right off the back of the trans, t-case was taken apart and check out good, rear end is good, the only thing damaged was the front driveshaft u-joint.

I had my overdrive housing rebuilt with a new case and we put everything back together with a new front driveshaft u-joint and everything is running fine. Anyone have this happen? The driveshaft u-joint only had 500 miles on it and there was no noise or vibration on the truck before the failure. The only thing that makes sense to me is that u-joint must have siezed up and then broke free after the case got ripped off.. The break on the housing looked fresh like no previous cracks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well if had been cracked for a while you would see shiny sections where it had been buffing itself for a while any of that?

·
Registered
843 Posts
stuff just doesnt break. something caused it. If you dont find the cause it will happen again

·
Registered
151 Posts
brutal... you werent doing 4x4 boosted launches, pulling, or somethine else stressfull before were you? maybe something kicked up and hit the selector into 4 high? dont think that this would happen if anything, but crusing at 60 it could be bad.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Spinning on ice and caught dry pavement at some time, see it especially in winter.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had pulled out another truck that morning in 4low, nothing out of the ordinary just spun the tires a bit in the snow. Is there no way that u-joint could have just siezed? I was not even on the gas when it happend, just coasting down a slight hill in 2wd and bang

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
that sucks just one more thing for me to worry about as if im not paranoid enough with every little sound from engine bay or tranny

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had pulled out another truck that morning in 4low, nothing out of the ordinary just spun the tires a bit in the snow. Is there no way that u-joint could have just siezed? I was not even on the gas when it happend, just coasting down a slight hill in 2wd and bang[/QUOTE Maybe a u-joint caused this but you would have a horrible vibration before the case broke. I would say the case cracked during a hard pull or something and leaked out the fluid or just driving stressed the crack more until she blew up.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had a vibration in my truck and could'nt figure it out, finally I was pickin up on the rear drive line to see if I had a bad bearing, and seem the transfer case moving up and down. The nuts had backed off about 5 turns. Maybe yours was loose and bowned up then twisted off? luckly I caught mine and tightened it up, everything has been fine sense.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the bolts where still on and tight that held the t-case to the overdrive housing.. It must have been cracked before i guess but it looked like a new break

·
Registered
554 Posts
are you running alot of lift? might have bound the rear shaft and cracked the tail housing while pulling that guy out.

Reactions: pondf4

·
Registered
37 Posts
T case

I had pulled out another truck that morning in 4low, nothing out of the ordinary just spun the tires a bit in the snow. Is there no way that u-joint could have just siezed? I was not even on the gas when it happend, just coasting down a slight hill in 2wd and bang
Sorry to hear of that ,glad you or anyone else werent hurt from possible locking up at high speeds or pieces falling off and hitting traffic...

I'd blame it on FSJ roads. If not that,you where in Grande Prairie trying their roads out werent you?:hehe:
Im just east of DC so I know.Both of my new rams have now been road tested big time because of those big budget snow clearing costs :rof .

Hope you figure out the issue.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
post pics lets see the carnage

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the case was cracked before it would be leaking, my uncles truck leaked bad (but TC didn't fall off) I would say U joint locked up if the bolts were tight

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey the same thing happened to me in may it was a u-joint on the front driveshaft. it rippedmy tranfer case off all my wires and put some holes in my floor boards. right before mine broke i had a bad vibration the floor boards rattled, but i was going 70 on interstate.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
hey the same thing happened to me in may it was a u-joint on the front driveshaft. it rippedmy tranfer case off all my wires and put some holes in my floor boards. right before mine broke i had a bad vibration the floor boards rattled, but i was going 70 on interstate.
how long did it vibrate b4 seized? got plans for a new trans soon and this is the last thing i want to happen

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
similar thing happen to a friends 1500 only he didnt have a skid plate :doh: t case hit the ground at 70mph. got it fixed and sold it for a 2010 duramax :doh:

·
Registered
47 Posts
how long did it vibrate b4 seized? got plans for a new trans soon and this is the last thing i want to happen
my u-joint snapped i heard the rattle but i was30 miles from home. i just replaced the two u-joint by the transfer case the ones i bought were from a parts house they wereclose but just a little off. so if you check your u-joints regularly and replace them with the proper parts you will be fine

1 - 20 of 35 Posts