Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not yeat a Cummins owner, but I am seriously shopping for one now. I have found a 2001 QC short bed stickshift in Upstate South Carolina. The price is spectacular, the ad claims that both pumps are new and the truck looks like a brand new truck in the Craigslist ad.

The kicker is that the truck has 275,000 miles on it. I drive about 25k a year, and I am curious what the hell happens one year from now when I hit 300k?

Am I making a mistake to buy this thing?

Please give me EXPERIENCES not just OPINIONS... thanks, ya'll.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
take care of it and it will last you much longer. Don't take care of it and I would say that, just like any other motor with high mileage, the rings will start to wear down and it will lose compression

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It should last forever.

Things that go wrong and are unavoidable would be, err, seals and, err, journals and bearings, and, err, valve seals and, err, not much really tends to ever go wrong without somebody doing something that's asking for it...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There are Cummins powered Dodges on the road with over a million miles on them. It's no big deal to get over 500K miles with no engine problems. Dead or dying lift pumps on the 24 valve are a common problem.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Yeah, I think we have a member on here with a 12v with 1.9 million miles on it

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
From everything that I have heard, the first rebuild usually is only a valve job and then the second time around will be a rebuild.

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
words of wisdom!:thumbsup
x4!

300,000 is nothing. It is not uncommon for them to easly run 500,000, you will get tired of the truck before the engine is even broke in. If you change the oil, you will not have any serious engine problems. I wouldn't be sacred of it at all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a friend that has an 03 with 425k and no rebuilds.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
mine has under 200,000 and runs great. you want it? :w:

·
Registered
258 Posts
After 300,000 you pull the motor and rebuild the rest of the truck.:lol3:

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After 300,000 you pull the motor and rebuild the rest of the truck.:lol3:
That part kinda worries me a little, too.... Just need to go see it in person.

THanks everyone for the confidence boost. You won't believe the price... if I buy it, I'll post up the results here soon!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, well, the truck sold last night.... they only wanted $6000 for it. But apparently the engine smoked white for the first 2-3 minutes and idled erractically at startup. Sounds like that "new VP44" was already headed south...... yikes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
305k on my '03. still runs strong and gets 20+ mpg depending on how I drive it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts