Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got pulled over the other night for my tail lights being to dark and the where. He said they should reflect on the side, he then proceded to tell me my recon smoked LED dually fender lights where not legal saying they should reflect as well. I called recon and they said those are legal and so are the tail lights they sell, so I bought a set. So does anyone know if any of this is true or not? Also having a hard time finding documents saying what is legal for the state of texas.

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
I believe the Recons are all DOT approved so that would make them legal

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
recons and other brands yes, most homemade ones are not.

i have a set of depot taillights and they came with a card from the manufacturer saying they are dot legal

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
You cannot "legally" smoke the outside lens of taillights because that is altering them. Now if you have Recon Smoked lights that are smoked on the inside that is "legal" within those terms. Any company can stamp DOT on the taillights saying they are legal, but that doesn't mean squat. A true company like Recon is legal to use as the LED's are much brighter than stock.

That is the unofficial law as I was explained after I got pulled over for my stock tinted taillights. Not sure on the dually side lights, but I would think that the law is the same as the taillights. I would just take it to court and plead not guilty myself and fight it. More than likely, the judge is not going to care enough to grant the ticket.

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
Couldnt have put it any better my self TXAustin!

-Jordan-

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,816 Posts
city cop or dps. if it was city go to the dps and get someone to tell you. They have certain troopers who are in charge of inspections and if they side with you a judge will trow it out i bet.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
It also depends on what cop pulls you over. I've seen this a lot in port of entrie's driving truck. One DOT officer tells you to fix something one way, you go thru the next port and that DOT officer tells you to put it back they way you had it. They interpret the rules differently. Recon is DOT legal in all states though so fight the ticket and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
943 Posts
on my last 3 trucks i have tinted the tail lights myself. the first truck died. the second truck they were too dark and i was getting pulled over 2-3 times a month for it. my truck now i smoke all of my lights and haven't had any problems. they are darker then stock but not straight black and you can still see the reflector, thats what will get you a ticket. as for the dually fender lights the only thing i can think of is maybe you have to be able to see them from 30-50 feet away? mine are smoked really dark along with my cab lights and i havent had any issues.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
just smoked mine the other day with VHT dark but can still see red thru and they still reflect

·
Registered
366 Posts
only three colors can face the rear, red, orange, or yellow.typical color for brake and turn signals..law states that taillights have to be red reflective and all signals most be visible from at least 50ft including license plate light (which can only be white, its not facing the rear). 3rd brake light does not matter because it is not a light required by law. tx state law only requires two brake lights, therefore the 3rd makes no difference..recon lights are good to go..i tinted my own but left two 1/2 inch stripes that i taped off so there is visible red..law doesnt state how much red needs to be reflective just as long as there is some..thats how i enforced it from 2006-09 when i was a troop..unless something has changed since 2009 that should be it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts