Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smoke Issue and Crankcase Vent Blow by

1897 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  triton
Hey everyone, a little while I posted a thread about my truck having a smoking problem. Well, I took it to the dealership and they replaced the number 6 injector.

I got it back and it still smokes a blueish smoke upon start up. Also, the breather tube which runs from the crankcase also continues to billow air/oil out of it to a point that it really cakes the underside of the truck quite a bit with oil.

The dealership says that I should run it for a while for the soot to clear out of the system but I don't think this is the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, flushed out radiator 200 miles ago. Please let me know. Thanks.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins Diesel. 37" tires, 6" lift. 45,000 miles.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,932 Posts
Hey everyone, a little while I posted a thread about my truck having a smoking problem. Well, I took it to the dealership and they replaced the number 6 injector.

I got it back and it still smokes a blueish smoke upon start up. Also, the breather tube which runs from the crankcase also continues to billow air/oil out of it to a point that it really cakes the underside of the truck quite a bit with oil.

The dealership says that I should run it for a while for the soot to clear out of the system but I don't think this is the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, flushed out radiator 200 miles ago. Please let me know. Thanks.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins Diesel. 37" tires, 6" lift. 45,000 miles.
blue smoke is oil burning and not good. Since you had a bad injector, it's very possible you toasted a piston or, the rings are on their way out. I'd take it back to them and ask for a compression test and a injector leak down test. You'll have to leave it with them for this but, if it's still under warranty.... worth it to do.

The excess oil through the blow by could also be a sign of a bad piston or rings

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.