Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

I just took delivery of my '01 2500 4x4 and as I've been driving it today I've smelled a burning oil smell. It's like the smell of oil burning on a manifold. Every now and then I get a wisp of it. The oil was changed before I bought it, but any excess spilled oil would've been long burned off by now (50 miles or so).

I've looked and can't find anything that looks to be leaking oil. Has anyone else every experienced this?

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Have you ever had a diesel before? Could just be normal exhaust smell.

These trucks do have a blowby bottle on the front of the engine. If not maintained, they can run over and the fan takes care of distributing the oil and odor..

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever had a diesel before? Could just be normal exhaust smell.

These trucks do have a blowby bottle on the front of the engine. If not maintained, they can run over and the fan takes care of distributing the oil and odor..
It's my first diesel, but I'm very familiar with the exhaust smell. This is definitely the smell of oil dripping onto something hot like a manifold.

I didn't know about a blow-by bottle! Would you ming telling me where it's located?

Thanks!
Tommy

·
Registered
120 Posts
i Suggest read the tsc or what ever there called from dodge. Theres 2 of them that talk about this. One is a seal/door is bad and needs replaced other explains that the oil vent needs modded like moparmans

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
i Suggest read the tsc or what ever there called from dodge. Theres 2 of them that talk about this. One is a seal/door is bad and needs replaced other explains that the oil vent needs modded like moparmans
Right on the money! :thumbsup

Its the crankcase vent your smelling... Its a heavy oil odor from the type of oil they use...

TSB 09-02-00 A Heavy Oil Or Fuel-Like Odor Coming From the Diesel Engine Compartment TSB 09-02-00

Then the stock crankcase vent has another problem... Serious problem... As you descend steep grades you can loose extremely large amounts of oil out the vent.

TSB 09-002-02 Crankcase Breather Overflow TSB 09-002-02

There is one more common problem that my design fix. Is the fact oil vapor will be emitted out the bottle and the oil tends to collect on the radiator and create a overheating condition from the dirt caking up on the radiator...

Here is the fix...
Crankcase Vent

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,917 Posts
oil smell can be different with the oil used in the oil change. Shell rotella has a perticularly offensive odor all the time while running it. Higher quality and synthetic oils will rid you of some of the smell and at least make it so you don't smell it all the time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the input, y'all! I've got some reading to do on these TSB's and I'm sure I'll be chiming back soon once I'm done.

Thanks again!
Tommy

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Tommy,

I just now hit me the smell I smelled on your truck was the same smell I get from the Crank case vent on my powerstroke, (I have mine vented out so it does not clog the Intercooler).

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
it's normal on a diesel with a fresh oil change....it will go away in a few days :thumbsup

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so it's sounding more and more like nothing is really out of the ordinary. FYI, I'm approaching 150+ miles or so and the smell is definitely going away it seems. :)

Tommy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts