Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed that the exhaust smells different from Dodge, Ford, or GM. This sounds strange I know, but being a Motorcycle Officer I get to smell the tail end of a lot of vehicles, and they smell different to me. I bring this up for a couple reason. One, this new 6.7 I have doesn't seem to have a smell at all and the exhaust pipe is clean as a whistle, I stuck my head down there just to see. I had friends and family really ride my butt for buying a diesel. I heard the same complaints over and over; smelly, noisy, and expensive to maintain. My 6.7 is not smelly, noisy, or expensive to maintain so far, and gets much better mileage than any of the gasser we have on the ranch, pulls better too. I bought a lifetime oil and filter package deal from the dealer, I plan on retiring from the area so no issue of me moving away. So no cost for oil or oil filters, this will cost them in the long run. Basically I was just wondering if anyone else with or without modifications can smell any difference in the different motors. I am sure those with exhaust mods get the sweet smell of diesel exhaust. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i could smell a big difference in mine when i took my cat off.... gotta love the smell of a diesel :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
that's how the 6.7 are. I installed my edge with attitude and MP-8 and the exhaust still has no smell. The filters in the exhaust work really well. After i insatlled the DFP delete all that changes. But its still not that bad with the edge turned up,MP-8 about half way and 50HP nozzles it puffs a little black smoke but nothing crazy lke my 5.9...

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that too. My Cummins smells like a bed of roses, the Duramax like sour grapes and the Powerstroke just plain smells like :butt: :lol3:

·
Registered
992 Posts
im turbo back, much sweeter smell, especially if i havnt started it up for a few days.

·
Registered
335 Posts
One of the reasons I got the CTD is my wife doesn't smell the diesel fuel unless she goes with me to fill up and I try not to take her when I do fill up :broke:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
being a Motorcycle Officer I get to smell the tail end of a lot of vehicles
i take it your LE, so, what ya gotta do is get yourself into the crown vic and youll be fine! :T:

R

·
0 Posts
Yea, it's the emmisions. You could drink the water dripping from your tailpipe if you wanted. LOL.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
HI
3,444 Posts
Yea, it's the emmisions. You could drink the water dripping from your tailpipe if you wanted. LOL.
try it and let me know what happens:lol3:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts