Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my first smarty and i have to say so far not impressed at all. Im currently running the beta 4.2 and its no where near what crazy larry was everyone that has 4.2 told me it would be real smokey to and it hardly gives any smoke at all. Is there a more powerful tune that i can try out on my truck, somthing that can compete with the crazy larry tune.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
For more smoke you could wrap a plastic bag around your air filter if is smoke is all you are after.

If you want more download TNT

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't understand the whole fascination with smoke and only smoke. Granted it's kinda cool at the right time but after all it is unburnt fuel. Wouldn't you rather utilize that fuel and not smoke at all. You can't judge horsepower by smoke alone. Personally if it were me putting the money out for a programmer, I would like you to have a nice smoke free view of my tailgate.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,688 Posts
i think for your 06, you need to get the revo
tunes and mess around with sw7.

i thought the betas were more for 03 - early
04 trucks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
start playing around with SMARTY Revo-TNT and then dyno the truck with that and Crazy Larry and let us know the difference

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you read it wrong im not interested in smoking just saying everyone says that the 4.2 smokes like crazy and it doesnt on my truck. I could care less about smoke i just want the power and its not there with 4.2

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not every truck is the same for one... but smarty has also always been known to make more power with less smoke and lower egts too... 4.2 is considered "smokey" because of the wild TM that throws a lot of fuel down low.

Try TNT... use RP 4 and TM 4 and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
You have a 06 correct. The 06 trucks love that bullydog and make good power with them. But if you got the Smarty, don't worry. The Smarty runs cooler,cleaner, and more adjustability. The 4.2 tune isn't really a tune for your year truck. That tune was made more for the 03 and early 04 trucks.

Go to Mads Electronics - Smarty - CaTCHER - Dodge Tuning - Home and download Revo - TNT. You have the ability to adjust everything and then try the levels you want. You have to download TNT tune. Then after that, you have to UNZIP the tune with 7-ZIP and use the Smarty downloader to send it to the Smarty through a USB cord.

Also, a side note. You have to adjust the options before downloading the level you desire onto your truck.

And RP 4 is way too much for Daily Driving. Also, TQ 4 will bog your truck after boost launching. It will choke your stock turbo down and it will smoke then clear up n take off. But by the time you clear up, the other car/truck will pull you a few car lengths.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an '06 and while I didn't run 4.2, I did run the 4.4 [beta]. I eventually had to switch back to regular tunes because it smoked too much, especially in the city around 45-50 mph and I stepped on it. Are you sure you had the software loaded right? Before I got my Goerend, I could slip the TC at will with 4.4.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
switched to TNT and its better (still not crazy larry power) im running it on sw9 TQ-3 TM-default RP-default Wastegate-off. Think im going to try a couple different ways to see whats works best any opinions on what to change them to. On a side note my egts used to hit 1400 with crazy larry (42 psi with boost fooler)...now with TNT they still get close to 1400 (about 38psi).... With the 4.2 tune i only got to 1300 (about 42psi)

·
Diesel Junkie
9,209 Posts
I've got a bully dog that I will trade you with a little cash for your smarty if yould rather go back :headbang:

·
Registered
308 Posts
same with me let me know...i have a 05 and love my bdtd with crazy larry but it has the outlook and everything....let me know ill throw in some cash too.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
switched to TNT and its better (still not crazy larry power) im running it on sw9 TQ-3 TM-default RP-default Wastegate-off. Think im going to try a couple different ways to see whats works best any opinions on what to change them to. On a side note my egts used to hit 1400 with crazy larry (42 psi with boost fooler)...now with TNT they still get close to 1400 (about 38psi).... With the 4.2 tune i only got to 1300 (about 42psi)
I didnt see a lift pump or any CP3 mods in your signature. You will need at least a lift pump if you want to get the full potential out of the TNT software especially if you are running on #9. I have a lift pump and a stock cp3 and dont think I could keep pressures up on those levels. Im running TNT #5 at the moment with TM 3, Tq 2, RP 2, wastegate off and it can suck the fuel down on those settings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuel pump is next in line but either way the crazy Larry is stronger than the TNT cause I didn't have enough fuel for crazy Larry either. I'm going to hold onto the smarty for a little while and see how it goes but I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of it

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Try running the TNT on number 5 and see if it feels any stronger. If you are commanding too much fuel it can make your truck run weaker which could be why the TNT doesnt feel stronger. But like others have said the bullydog is good for the later 3rd gens. I havent personally tried it so I cant say which one is better. All trucks are different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.