Cummins Diesel Forum banner

smarty

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  jmd025 
#1 ·
hey i just put a smarty on my 02 what kind of hp is it making?? also i have a comp that cam off of a 00 can i hard wire it in , cause the plugs are diff anyone know??

#2 ·
I would imagine you can. I have a 2000 and when I bought my juice for it used they didnt give me the adaptor for the 2000 only the 98-99. I simply connected the 2 wires to the data link connector using the plug as a reference. The wires were labeled on the connectors as A,B,C. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
smarty is limited to 65hp tops with the stock injectors and can-bus fueling (using the factory hardware). what it does is change the fueling curve so you have more low-end power. stacking a smarty with a fuel only box such as a tst and a decent set of injectors yeilds the best results on the dyno. other than that you can stack the smarty and comp, but you have to use the catcher software without the timing since the comp is a fuel and timing module.
hope this helps

#6 ·
tes it will. it just has different map sensor plugs, and the data link is in a different place. but internally they are the SAME

just call edge and get the adapter. or if you wanna do surgery on it try hard wiring it

#12 ·
Call edge and see what they say..... Juice is the only one that can adapt to all year models. Different map voltages on 98-00 and 01-02 that the comp can't compensate for.

Least thats what they told me a while back.

#7 ·
so the 00 comp box will work on my 02 i just have to hard wire it in to the map sensor?? also which box is better the comp or the smarty?? what makes more power and smoke?

#8 ·
The smarty is great for low end and with my 75 hp sticks it smokes like a train even with my edge on 0. I like it stacked i might lose a little hp but its nice to have to low end for daily driving and it was nice to get my speedo right again.

#9 ·
IIRC, if you hard wire the Comp into the MAP adapter, I don't believe the wires are the same. You cannot just put them in the order that they are on the plug. I don't remember off of the top of my head what order they are from 98.5-00 to a 01-02 though.
On an 02, 1 wire will have 1.0v coming from the MAP sensor (ignition on--engine not running).
1 wire goes to the ECM
1 wire is the MAP sensor ground.

A Comp and a Smarty are 2 different animals, so to speak.
A Smarty is a Programmer that plugs into the OBD port and reprograms the ECM by changing the timing and fueling parameters and adds @ 65hp.
A Comp hooks to the Data Link connector and the MAP connector and alters the info coming from and going to the ECM and adds @ 120hp.

#11 ·
they want 150 for the adapter for the map sensor. is that what you are saying

#14 ·
dieseltracks and jmd025 are correct. it will not work due to different voltage current with the map. if this was so i would have had a comp on my truck about 3 months back (remember that Josh). the only wiring harness you can change is on the Juice which is programed to accept variable voltage. just save yourself the trouble and get the correct year model..FYI this is the same thing on the EZ as well. rule of thumb 98.5-00 fits 98.5-00 and 01-02 fits 01-02. unless it is the Juice model.

#16 ·
lol nah it's not like that. i bought one off an '02 and learned the hard way. didn't want anyone to make the mistake. however you are right about the wiring harness...you can buy them but only to replace the original or as a fix for the Juice only :thumbsup: you were on the right track snack :yourock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.