Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have my smarty tnt by thursday and dont have any gauges yet so whats the limit i can take my truck to? what settings should i run for racing?

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I wouldnt run over # 1 It starts @ 100hp. My tranny was toast running # 5 for a few weeks.... Not to mention you will probaly have high egt's.. Thats the killer...Need Pyro gauge at the least!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I wouldnt run over # 1 It starts @ 100hp. My tranny was toast running # 5 for a few weeks.... Not to mention you will probaly have high egt's.. Thats the killer...Need Pyro gauge at the least!
You can run whatever you want..but BEWARE THAT DAMAGE WILL OCCUR WITH ANY LEVEL OF TNT WITHOUT ANY GAUGES!!!! :thud:For the least amount of damage #1 is probably the best!!!:popcorn:

Invest in some gauges and save yourself some money later!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i plan to order the edge digital gauge that has all the guages in one. its just the money keeping me from doing it now. I will just have to be careful i geuss. whats a good way to tell if my truck starts to run to hot? i know it shouldnt run over about 200 on my factory gauges but what should i look for? sounds ect?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
well i plan to order the edge digital gauge that has all the guages in one. its just the money keeping me from doing it now. I will just have to be careful i geuss. whats a good way to tell if my truck starts to run to hot? i know it shouldnt run over about 200 on my factory gauges but what should i look for? sounds ect?
Unfortunately there is NO way to tell if temps are too high!! The only sound you might hear after a run is the sound of either the turbo coming apart or the bits and pieces of piston going through your turbo!!:peelout

The EDGE INSIGHT is a good piece of equipment and should do what you want!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Have you been running the BD without gauges also?

The Smarty will run cooler on the added timing settings.

But I wouldn't run any power adder without gauges. The urge to stick you foot in it is just too great.............

Randy

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i have ran the crap out of my truck with my tripple dog and no problems. I have even pulled a 40ft gooseneck on crazy larry loaded with a jepp and fourwheelers for 10miles wide open. thats what i dont get i have never had a problem with mine and I got 37,000 miles on the truck and I have had it since the first 50. thats why i am asking. im not scared of my bully dog. but i dont have any experiance with a smarty.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
At the minimum I'd get an EGT gauge. You can get by for a while, but your risking a high $ engine if your running it too hot for too long.

Randy

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i will start saving for the edge digital gauge. it has everything in one i belive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts