Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I want efi but they don't have it for my measly 05 yet...lol. I'm licking my chops for the day they do though

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
They're kind of two different things. Smarty lets you plug in and mash a button and go fast. EFI Live lets you tinker with tables and parameters and all kinds of minute details to really hone what you're going for. Much steeper learning curve.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Efilive may have a steeper learning curve, but the better option to get started would be to buy efilive from a trusted tuner around your area and get him to build you a tune for your truck. There is no comparison to a well built efilive tune vs. a smarty tune.. no comparison.

Or you could go with the option of purchasing a V2 from a respected tuner and have him email you a tune for your truck.

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
No reason for it to.

I mean, really they're like two different products. If you wanna tinker and have the initiative to learn how injection timing and stuff works (and follow Rich's posts and all the posts on their forum) EFI Live is definitely the way to go. If you have a tuner shop nearby or are willing to data log and work with someone remotely who emails you tunes to try, then it's gonna work out well for you most likely.

If you like no hassle, and especially if you like to make smoke, Smarty is the way to go.

I love my smarty, but given the time and resources, I would love EFI Live way more. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I can't wait for EFI live....probably will be forever before i see it released for early 04's. Anyways until then my smarty TNT works ok, i heard bob say the TNT-R tune is suppose to be coming out really soon.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
This is probably gonna get ugly
It shouldn't get ugly, it is a pretty simple ordeal... Efilive is very easy to use with about 10 mins of proper guidance on how it works, and if you purchase the product it is the sellers responsibility to make it easy to have the tune in your truck. Efilive is not hard to load tunes with whatsoever, learning how to build your own tunes may be another story for some... but getting a custom tune for your rig is a simple process that does not take much computer smarts so don't let that scare anyone!

The tuning abilities of smarty are in no comparison to a well built efilive tune. I can say lower egts, more efficiency, more power, less smoke, and endless options are what you get with efilive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Both of these products are equally impressive and effective for their intended uses. For someone who wants to just plug and play and not have to worry about the learning curve of writing your own tunes then Smarty is the way to go. If your ultimate goal is max power and you want to understand how the tune itself works and have the ability to do so then EFI is your ticket. For me, i like to know exactly how it all comes together so, efi live is on my to get list.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This is probably gonna get ugly
I wouldn't think so. This is the place to weigh the pros and cons of both debate is welcome in this type of topic.

Perhaps cumminalong will share some insight on the EFILive as he seems very passionate about the product as seen in other topics.

If I had an 06 or 07.0 the choice between the SO6 (that I already have) and EFILive it would be a tough call. If I had to buy one or the other from scratch I would lean towards EFILive if I had someone that I really trusted and really knew their stuff to write tunes for me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Both of these products are equally impressive and effective for their intended uses. For someone who wants to just plug and play and not have to worry about the learning curve of writing your own tunes then Smarty is the way to go. If your ultimate goal is max power and you want to understand how the tune itself works and have the ability to do so then EFI is your ticket. For me, i like to know exactly how it all comes together so, efi live is on my to get list.
Like several people have said, you don't NEED to learn to make your own tunes to use efi live. For small hp tunes... 25, 50, 75, 100 added hp, most professional tuners will be able to make a tune for you remotley and email it to you. All you have to learn is how to flash the tune to the truck, which your tuner will help you with. If you want changes to the tune, then you can either learn to tune and make the changes yourself, or datalog and email the log and requested changes to your tuner. He'll email back a new tune and you reflash and enjoy.

There isn't a need to learn how to tune it yourself at all of you don't want to.

Its also untrue that its only for guys making huge power. A guy running a stock tranny, turbo and fuel system will enjoy a powerful, smooth, refined tune with low egts. Just as the guy making 600hp+ with thousands of dollars in mods will enjoy a smoother running engine with better, more linear throttle response and more useable power.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Like several people have said, you don't NEED to learn to make your own tunes to use efi live. For small hp tunes... 25, 50, 75, 100 added hp, most professional tuners will be able to make a tune for you remotley and email it to you. All you have to learn is how to flash the tune to the truck, which your tuner will help you with. If you want changes to the tune, then you can either learn to tune and make the changes yourself, or datalog and email the log and requested changes to your tuner. He'll email back a new tune and you reflash and enjoy.

There isn't a need to learn how to tune it yourself at all of you don't want to.

Its also untrue that its only for guys making huge power. A guy running a stock tranny, turbo and fuel system will enjoy a powerful, smooth, refined tune with low egts. Just as the guy making 600hp+ with thousands of dollars in mods will enjoy a smoother running engine with better, more linear throttle response and more useable power.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich
My knowledge of EFILive is extremely limited; that said is there typically a charge for these custom datalog tunes?

I have seen the tuner guys, which in my experience an oriental kid 15-20 years old with a laptop riding in the passenger seat on test and tune nights. I would assume he is doing this for some sort of financial benifit... Or is what I am talking about more specialized than usual?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just a thought, how fun would EFIlive be if Marco would set up some tunes for ya?:party018:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Every tuner does things a little different...modifying the tunes off the data log should be included...no extra fees whatsoever because you ARE paying for a custom tune that runs how YOU want it to run. With that said, this will very possibly take data logging and should be included.

Also, always make sure to question your tuner on how timing works, fueling, smoke control, ect. You never know when one of those "tuner kids" would get their hands on the software and use a nice sales pitch... I know i wouldn't let one touch my rigs!
I expect Marco to buy efilive and look at his tuning and say "wtf was i thinking"... if that helps...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree that efi is for anything from stock to HOLD THE F%&$ ON!! Was just saying that with efi 1 should have at least a vague idea of how it works.

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
cumminalong and bluessmax know what they're talking about here guys. I can't tell you how much I've learned from reading their replies here and on the efilive forum, not to mention the countless questions I've sent in PMs to cumminalong.

Great guys, very knowledgeable, and their comments have managed to put to rest most of my concerns about going with the product.

I'm still on the fence, but when I get off the fence I know there will be dirt under my feet because of those two guys (and others, but mostly you two!)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! It is totally understandable for guys to be hesitant about the new toy introduced to the cummins market... but rest assured as development progresses and guys see you cant just press the wrong key and the motor goes POP, it will be widely accepted and understood. I think once a few more folks buy EFILIVE and get their hands dirty and post questions on the forums that get answered... you will see everyone step their game up!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts