Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking out the SMARTY programmers for a while now and have noticed that for the 2003 and up trucks, mads electronics has all sorts of different downloads and updates for them.... But for 2002 and earlier, they don't have anything at all. Will they ever come out with any updates on the 2002 and earlier cummins like they have out for the 2003 and up cummins???? Thanks....

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
I believe they will be working on that from what I have read. I'm sure Bob Wagner can answer that.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marco is working on the VP Revolution now as time allows.

Thanks
Do you have any idea of when he might have some to updates to come out??

·
Registered
962 Posts
How much smoke does the new programs produce? The amount of smoke on the old programs kept me away from it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, what all updates do they have out on a smarty right now for the 2nd genereation cummins????

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The last one from 9/20/07 works real well with my 6speed. Way better than the original.

Truck pulls alot stronger with it. Did well before in the upper r's but now its really good.

Smoke actually seems to be better, meaning less. But the lane blocker is there if needed.

The smoke is no problem to drive around. I actually use the side of my foot instead of fat footing the throttle. I feel that gives me much better control.

Hope this helps...

The VP revolution????? Cant wait.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last one from 9/20/07 works real well with my 6speed. Way better than the original.

Truck pulls alot stronger with it. Did well before in the upper r's but now its really good.

Smoke actually seems to be better, meaning less. But the lane blocker is there if needed.

The smoke is no problem to drive around. I actually use the side of my foot instead of fat footing the throttle. I feel that gives me much better control.

Hope this helps...

The VP revolution????? Cant wait.:thumbsup
What are you referring to when you say "The VP Revolution?????? Cant wait" ????

Also, in your opinion, as far as me wanting better gas milage, something for towing, and something with good power and something that'll blow a little smoke....should I go with the smarty, edge comp or somethin else????

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Get in line as far as updates go...

CR Revo
VP Revo

...I'm assuming the VP is last in line :w:

Smarty on the VP is good for stacking but if you want one electronic power adder, you prolly want the Quad Addrenaline...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
yea what's the revolution??

i tried to download the speed limiter or newer version the other day and didn't get any options.?

do i have to pull the smarty from the truck to download the new version? it was still programmed in? i'm fixing to go to the adrenaline for more power. the drag comp and smarty just aren't cutting it anymore. :$:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What are you referring to when you say "The VP Revolution?????? Cant wait" ????

Also, in your opinion, as far as me wanting better gas milage, something for towing, and something with good power and something that'll blow a little smoke....should I go with the smarty, edge comp or somethin else????
I'm just saying Cant wait...looking forward to it. As Bob mentioned that Marco was working on the VP revolution.

Mileage is determined by your right foot primarily. I get around 20 with my setup, with the cruise set below 2k rpms.

The smarty works very well with manual transmissions. At least for me. Towing is great because you can wind the shifts out if need be. It doesn't fall flat on its face after 2200 rpm.

As far as what to get....there's plug and play or wire tap. 2 entirely different animals.

At least with the wire tap box you can adjust the power levels on the fly as needed or dictated.

the smarty - yer stuck with what setting you have loaded in. No on the fly.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Get in line as far as updates go...

CR Revo
VP Revo

...I'm assuming the VP is last in line :w:

Smarty on the VP is good for stacking but if you want one electronic power adder, you prolly want the Quad Addrenaline...

Hmmmm.....

I thought in Marco's message about the the CR revo..........that the VP crowd was next in line.

I HOPE thats the case and not get backburnered to the 6.7.

That would suck.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, I think that if I had an on the fly adjustment I would be screwin around with it all the time.... if I had a programmer, that could keep me from doing so....lol.........if I was to get a smarty, how long would it be b4 I had to replace my clutch if I was fairly mild on it?? I have about 93,000 miles on the truck

or would I just be better of going with about a 100 set of injectors or smaller????

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
I thought in Marco's message about the the CR revo..........that the VP crowd was next in line.
I HOPE thats the case and not get backburnered to the 6.7.
I have no idea...just trying to be an a-hole :T: ...I do know the 6.7 guys are getting ancy...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump??????

·
Registered
134 Posts
your clutch

is a wear item and there is no way to tell you for sure how much longer it could last. It all depends on how your clutches life has been. My cousin drove my truck less than 1/4 mile and apparently didn't know how to drive a manual beast too well and he made my clutch smoke some. The truck just sat where he left it and I drove it home the next day with no apparent damage. I took it to the dealer though because at the time we didn't know what caused the smoke and wanted to make sure the clutch was not oil soaked. The truck had a touch over 6g's on the odo. I got my smarty in and couldn't even run the 30 hp setting without slipping the clutch. I now have an awesome dual disc from SPEC clutch! No more splipping for me.

Eddy :peelout

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
See, I think that if I had an on the fly adjustment I would be screwin around with it all the time.... if I had a programmer, that could keep me from doing so....lol.........if I was to get a smarty, how long would it be b4 I had to replace my clutch if I was fairly mild on it?? I have about 93,000 miles on the truck

or would I just be better of going with about a 100 set of injectors or smaller????
Smarty by itself.....could be rough on your clutch. My stocker held 325 for a good while.........but it had NO where near the low end hit if the smarty...

II would save for a clutch.

No, you wont be better of with just sticks....imo. You would need a boost fooler of some sorts. The sticks by themselves only get you so far.

I have no idea...just trying to be an a-hole :T: ...I do know the 6.7 guys are getting ancy...
So are the 2nd gen guys that have been in this since the Catcher ECM swap days and have stuck in there with the smarty.......:w: Take care of those who got you to where you are before starting something new.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Smarty by itself.....could be rough on your clutch. My stocker held 325 for a good while.........but it had NO where near the low end hit if the smarty...

II would save for a clutch.

No, you wont be better of with just sticks....imo. You would need a boost fooler of some sorts. The sticks by themselves only get you so far.

So are the 2nd gen guys that have been in this since the Catcher ECM swap days and have stuck in there with the smarty.......:w: Take care of those who got you to where you are before starting something new.....
What setting would i be able to run the smarty on and not have to worry about frying my clutch????

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Yes, but there'sa whole lotta money to be had in a 6.7 Smarty...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dude load up...

SW 1 or SW 3 and go from there. Like I said earlier everyone's clutch will be different and you have got some good use out of your clutch already. Just be prepared to either buy a clutch or run it very easy. I think SW 5 is the highest recommended setting for a manual with oem clutch.

Good luck man, the smarty is sweet.

Eddy :beer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts