Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the fence about getting the smarty for my truck. I was wondering you can run the Smarty at high settings with no timing and just use a 50/50 water meth to supplement the timing. My theory is the truck will run cooler and add more fuel to the situation.

I'm wondering the exact amount of timing that is added with water/meth vs the added timing with smarty programming. In other words, will the Smarty program with timing add more timing than 50/50 water/meth and the smarty program with no timing? if that makes sense. :confused013:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one????

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Personally I would go with the Smarty timing since it's dynamic. You only get advanced timing from water/meth when it's spraying. Just use H2O for EGT control and let the Smarty do all the timing work.

MikeyB

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm saying for the track, i would think adding meth and reducing timing might be very beneficial as opposed to running more timing and no water/meth

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
For the track and not towing using 50/50 mixture use timing 4 for the Smarty TNT program. It's only advances 4 degrees above stock.

MikeyB

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much timing will be advanced if I run the Smarty at full tilt? Is it dependent on what level of tune i upload?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if anyone has figured out how much timing is advanced with 50/50 at a specific volume of injection.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Water meth and smarty

This last summer i was running the the Smarty tnt-r stacked with an mp-8 and was at 12.08 @ 112 in the quarter mile running about 1400 deg. I was running my timing on level 3 and no rail pressure from the smarty. I added water meth to the truck (stage 3). I put the timing on level 4 with all other settings the same. I ran 12.08 @ 116 and 1300 deg. 4th pass I melted 4 pistons. 2 things here i was quenching on the bottom end with the water meth comming on to quick this need to be adjusted to come on later and I feel i needed to back more timing out. I should have taken the timing to stock on the smarty because i forgot the mp-8 adds about 4 degrees (if i rember right). I gained 4 mph in the traps with the same et. If i would have had the w/m come on later i feel I would have been in the 11's. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your build and runs. :doh:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what ratio of water/meth? your scaring me about the meth :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
water meth

snow's 50/50. no need to get scared. rember I had my mp-8 max which added timing and I was quenching on the bottom. I should have started with some smaller meth nozzles instead of the two big ones and waited to adjust the meth to come on later. I could not adjust the controller any higher, I needed a metering valve or picked up my boost off the bottom turbo and not overall boost. Start with stock timing and work from there. :drool2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts