Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smarty trouble

2399 Views 31 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  crackercwboy
I am having the p242d code popup every 30 miles or so, and sometimes at an idle it sounds like the turbo is spooling up really loud and when I take off the truck surges. I have to redownload the program for it to stop. Anybody have any solutions??????
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
851 Posts
you sure you're getting P242d for MAP code? the infamous code that constantly popping with even tune is P0106 which i believe Marco has a fixed for it coming out.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Yes that is the code. I like running the even numbers while pulling big loads.
Why? The added timing keeps the EGT's cooler and increases MPG. I would run the odd and I don't see any use for the even unless you are stacking.

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why? The added timing keeps the EGT's cooler and increases MPG. I would run the odd and I don't see any use for the even unless you are stacking.
I think it is the different sound of the motor from the timing thats weird to me. I never thought about the egts being cooler from the timing. Thanks for the advice.

· Registered
235 Posts
crackercwboy, I have had the exact same symptons on my truck as you have. I am using a beta version of the smarty now that is supposed to get rid of the p0106 code which it does but my truck still gets the symptoms like before. I ordered some sims and replaced the stock egt sensors that where zip tied up and ran the truck a little bit tonight and so far so good but only time will tell. mine would act up but I had to drive it about 40 miles or more to get it to act up which I didnt have time to do tonight. So I will post up any info I find out.

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
crackercwboy, I have had the exact same symptons on my truck as you have. I am using a beta version of the smarty now that is supposed to get rid of the p0106 code which it does but my truck still gets the symptoms like before. I ordered some sims and replaced the stock egt sensors that where zip tied up and ran the truck a little bit tonight and so far so good but only time will tell. mine would act up but I had to drive it about 40 miles or more to get it to act up which I didnt have time to do tonight. So I will post up any info I find out.
Thats the way mine is, 30 to 40 miles. If I am pulling a load it comes alittle sooner. Thanks and keep Me posted....

· Registered
196 Posts
P242D = Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor circuit high-Bank one sensor 3.

The ECM will set the fault if it detects that the Exhaust Temperature Sensor Signal voltage is greater than a calibrated voltage for more than a calibrated time.

Possible Causes

FAILED SENSOR ;EXHAUST TEMPERATURE 1/3 SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN ;SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN ;EXHAUST TEMPERATURE 1/3 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE ; EXHAUST TEMPERATURE 1/3 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO OTHER CIRCUITS.

The above means that you must have a problem somewhere with the EGT probes. The Smarty per se does not set the code. Easy thing to do to start with is to check the EGT sensor plugs. Seated right? Fully pushed in? Any punched wires?

I hope this helps.

Marco

· Registered
70 Posts
I'm running Smarty ME with beta to eliminate P0106 on SW# 3. With DPF/EGR delete and the following: 1) egr cooler bypass connector disconnected. 2) egr valve connector connected with plunger removed and 3) Throttle valve disconnected.

Had a couple of codes first 80 or 90 miles - P245a and P2080. Cleared with Smarty. Last 150 plus miles - no codes.

Bob Wagner sent me the beta add on to eliminate the P0106 code. Great support as I'm on the road dragging my trailer.

I would think you can email Bob Wagner from the MADS site and get the beta.

PS - the truck is running great. Trailer is about 8000 lbs and I'm getting 13 to 14 mpg with it and 20 - 22 solo depending on whether I'm site seeing or just highway traveling.

Good luck.

Bob

· Registered
24 Posts
I too am running the Beta version from Bob Wagner to get me code free. I was having the p0106 prior to the Beta version while running the stock pyros removed from system and tied to frame.
I installed sims and then started getting p2080 and p2084. I installed the Beta version and so far am code free with about 250 miles. I bought new MAP sensors and tried about everything prior to the Beta. I have gotten an increase in milage (2 mpg) since installing the sims, although I received the p2080 and p2084 codes prior to the Beta. I hope it gets even better, am currently running sw3, but i am happy getting 18.28 hand calculated from my last tank on sw5.

· Registered
70 Posts
DieselDale489
It looks good to me also. I forgot to mention the 330 ohm resistors I put in the egt probes. Because I'm on the road, I just went to Radio Shack and got them and inserted them in the connectors and taped them in.

Also looks like 2 maybe 3 mpg gain. I think it's too early for me to tell just yet.

I've been cautious to try anything above SW3. How did you like SW5 and are you concerned about damage to the auto Xmission?

Bob

· Registered
24 Posts
I liked SW5 however when I had it loaded I didn't change the options back from which I had SW3 loaded the first time (Timing-default,tq-4, RP-1), forgot. When I would pull a good size hill I would just ease into it for a test of power and it would make the torque converter clutch shudder. That is with my truck empty, it weighs 8600 lbs. If I really just floored it to pass it would go to 3000 to 3200 and stay there until eventually converter would lock in 5th then shift quick to 6th. Granted it was hauling A but I don't believe my tranny would hold up very long like that. I definitely would not hook to my trailer like that. It will be easier on it with just the default setting but I like SW3 set like mentioned above. Someday maybe a tranny upgrade but for now we'll see. Sure love the Smarty now that i'm code free. Can only imagine what SW9 would be like.

Dale

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.