Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Smarty S06 POD that i can get used for a decent price. I was just wondering how it would be with my stock tranny (48RE)? what level would be to much for it? mostly just doing daily driving to school and back and plowing driveways when it snows. hardly ever WOT. just looking for an increase in power and a little better fuel economy without hurting anything. thanks in advance for the input

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an upgraded valve body and torque converter on a fresh rebuild and found that I could only run level 5 with the torque management on 1 without slipping in lock up. You could probably run level 3 safely. Just leave the torque management down because the low end responsiveness will kill a stock tranny as the valves can't build pressure fast enough

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Anything over 40hp is gonna wear on that auto... The TNT sw7 tune gives the best mpg but you gotta keep your foot out of it or you will be buying a tranny quick. I would beef up the trans before you get a tuner!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have run either sw3 or sw5 for the last 40k on my stock trans. Torque mgmt is always stock setting. I pull 11k lbs every weekend in summer. I never race or do boosted launches, but Im always in a hurry to get where im going. I guess Im trying to say, I dont abuse it, but I dont baby it either. If I had the cash for a trans, I would go out and wreck mine tomorrow, but I dont yet.

·
Premium Member
7,398 Posts
Depends on what you are doing with it and what your driving habits are but, the general consensus and Smarty's recommendation is default REVO SW3 for stock 48REs. TNT is not recommended for stock transmissions.

If you tow big or race all the time you may want to reduce that number for your transmission's sake. If you don't tow big and drive it easy, you can safely increase it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason i was goin to get it is bcause i can get one used for $450 which i thought was a good deal. Like i said i only drive to school and back during the week plus plowing driveways. sometimes tow a light snowmobile trailer but nothing major.

Reactions: watrboyo1

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get it and leave it on level one or 3

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you drive hard at all say good buy to the trans. But if you dont want it send me the info I wouldnt mind it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Been on SW9 for a week. The stock (supposedly) tranny is barely pulling down the road. So I would say use the lowest SW (3 maybe 5) that feels good for you. I think the 2 major factors is your right foot and keep the Torque Managment low.

Reactions: Capt. Slow

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had my smarty almost a year now and have not had a problom with the tranny yet. For the first few months I did as recomended and ran sw 3 on the revo program but couldn't stay away from the higher numbers. Ran sw 7 and 9 for a few months after that and had no probloms, couldn't feel any slip. This last November I loaded the TNT tune on the smarty and I like the power of this programing much more, but as stated above it's not recommend on a stock tranny however I have run every switch of the TNT tune on my stocker and it's still goin strong, but my fuel system won't keep up on the higher switchs so I leave it on 5 with default tq managment and it runs great. By the way $450 sounds like a steal to me I think I payed 6 something for mine new.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any reason why everyone says to run it on an odd number with added timing? Also when you load a tun into the truck is the torque management set to the stock setting by defaults. I guess what i am asking is that if you just upload a tune and nothing and don's touch anything else what is the torque management set at? thanks for all the input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts