Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been running sw#9, default options since I got the Smarty. Started at SW#3 then to SW#7 and finally SW#9 in a week,, have been running SW#9 ever since. The truck runs great, no tranny problems, I drive pretty conservatively, no racing. My current mpg is 18 mpg city/hwy and 20 straight highway. As you can see in my sig, my truck is fairly stock except for the fuel Boss fuel system and Smarty.
To possibly improve mpg even more would it be safe to go to timing#4 or is this too much? I am currently running default - timing#2.
My biggest concern is the increased temp in the combustion chambers. I have heard that the increased timing reduces EGTs but increases the temps absorbed by the pistons, which could possibly cause piston melting, cylinder scarring and valve damage. Anybody have any insight here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Goto #4 then listen for what sounds like rocks in a garbage can rolling down a hill... then go back to #2 where you really should have left it... :thumbsup

·
Registered
383 Posts
x2 for sure you are on the right track but before you hurt it you will hear rocks in a garbage can

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I'm running the REVO with timing 4 and it's fine. May have slightly more rattle than #2 but it's hard to tell.

MikeyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts