Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smarty rental. . .??

1761 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  vegpwrd
You may consider me a cheap ******* for posting such a request. Conversely, it could be an opportunity for you to make a little dough.

Rather then spending $600 on a Smarty programmer, would it be possible to rent one? Admittedly,I'm new to the forum and to my '03 2500 4x4 5spd so i don't necessarily know what I'm talking about. I'm open to all suggestions.

I suppose the most important question to ask is reprogramming the trucks FI necessary when the only mod i've made is straight pipes. My main concern is MPG's. Yeah a little more power will be good but i'm relatively limited with a 5spd tranny geared REALLY low.

Thanks for your input.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Well you can only have a smarty on one truck at a time so the guy you rented it from would be with out a working smarty.

Fill out your Sig so we can help you more with what kind of truck you have

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i've edited the sig.

Yeah, I guess this is where my lack of experience comes in. . .I thought the smarty reprogrammed the FI computer and then you disconnected it and went on your merry way until you wanted to make another modification.

Thanks

· Registered
1,409 Posts
I think i've edited the sig.

Yeah, I guess this is where my lack of experience comes in. . .I thought the smarty reprogrammed the FI computer and then you disconnected it and went on your merry way until you wanted to make another modification.

Thanks
The smarty does reprogram your computer, however the smarty is VIN locked to the vehicle once it has reprogrammed it.

· Registered
802 Posts
:agree2: and the only way to unlock it is to return the vehicle that was programed to to stock

· Registered
2,412 Posts
If you want to try one contact Bob Wagner. 1 month money back, if you don't like it. I doubt you'll send it back!! Lol

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! That's a marketing gimmick!!

What are the alternatives? What about bully dog pup?

Isn't this whole FI modification going to eff up my MPG's?

Thanks

· Registered
1,409 Posts
Alternatives, well I'm not sure but I would think any company would protect itself. The name of the game is to make a profit.

As for the programmer messing with MPG...if you drive right you will get better economy as well as more power.

· Registered
201 Posts
That's not a marketing gimmick. Put yourself in their shoes... you want everyone passing your product around like a sorority girl with low self- esteem, thereby not making any money off it, or do you want to run a profitable business? As far as I'm concerned, there is no alternative, so either pony up the cash for a used one (seen 'em for as little as $425), or be faced with a life of wondering "what if..." Trust me and everyone else that has one- you'll be glad you got it.

MPGs don't get effed up; it's been run over here time and time again that once you relearn how to drive, you'll see a couple MPG gain. I don't bother with hand calculating because it's a goddamn 7500 lb. 4X4 truck that wasn't bought for economy, but my overhead lie-o-meter went from 16.8 around town to 19.4 with the addition of the S-06, and at 65 MPH, unloaded on a level highway with 285/70 tires, I'm seeing as much as 24.6, up from 20.3.

BTW- I'll rent you mine for a week for $715, 100% refundable on return and confirmation that you didn't leave it locked to your truck. All you do is pay shipping. Price reference: http://www.dieselmanor.com/mads/smarty-S06pod.asp

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"if I drive right". . .I'm guessing you mean not flooring it before shifting gears?

Whatever the circumstance may be with "driving right", my BIG question is what doesn't Dodge program the FI sys to have more power and better fuel economy?? Are they in cahoots with Smarty, Bully Dog, and the like?

This is all pretty confusing to the noob.

Thanks

· Registered
161 Posts
That's not a marketing gimmick. Put yourself in their shoes... you want everyone passing your product around like a sorority girl with low self- esteem, thereby not making any money off it, or do you want to run a profitable business? As far as I'm concerned, there is no alternative, so either pony up the cash for a used one (seen 'em for as little as $425), or be faced with a life of wondering "what if..." Trust me and everyone else that has one- you'll be glad you got it.

MPGs don't get effed up; it's been run over here time and time again that once you relearn how to drive, you'll see a couple MPG gain. I don't bother with hand calculating because it's a goddamn 7500 lb. 4X4 truck that wasn't bought for economy, but my overhead lie-o-meter went from 16.8 around town to 19.4 with the addition of the S-06, and at 65 MPH, unloaded on a level highway with 285/70 tires, I'm seeing as much as 24.6, up from 20.3.

BTW- I'll rent you mine for a week for $715, 100% refundable on return and confirmation that you didn't leave it locked to your truck. All you do is pay shipping. Price reference: MADS SMARTY for Dodge Cummins at DieselManor
dude he could buy one new for like 500 why would he rent one for 700?

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like i said i'm a cheap *******.

Gotcha. So what is driving "right"? Please reference a thread keyword if it's too complicated to explain here.

Just trying to figure things out and get an objective perspective.

Thanks

· Registered
161 Posts
id say hes talking about driving sensible like not running around full throttle and running the dawg crap out of it thats how i see it as

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK. Good. I've got a Ducati for when i want to go fast. The truck is for utility. . .i thought there was some secret hand shake type trick to gettin the most out of a 3rd gen 5.9.

Where's the best place to find a used Smarty or Bully Dog or the like? Maybe that's a loaded question? I have noticed some serious feelings regarding which FI modifier is best. Which one is best if i could care less about having a vehicle with 600HP?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

· Registered
133 Posts
You cant go wrong with a smarty...Im running a quadzilla x2 and absolutely love it. If you really are wanting good mpg's then keep your rpm's below 2000 and you will better mpg's

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
You can't buy a new one for $500 that I know of. My POD was $715 as was basically every body else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.