Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smarty or H&S XRT

6194 24
I'm looking at buying one of these two products, Smarty Sr/ Jr. or the H&S XRT.

Smarty JR-Me is 495.00
Smarty Sr-Me is 685.00

H&S XRT is 699.00

My truck has an Edge w/ A for gauges only, S&B CAI, DPF delete, and the H&S EGR delete kit is on order. This truck halls the mail as is now, i'm not really looking for more HP at this time, but more getting rid of the emissions and pick up the fuel mileage. I am even considering stacking a Mp-8 with the Smarty or XRT for better mileage.

Any advice or which one is better than the other? I know the JR is cheaper but not sure what disadvantages vs the SR. The Smarty SR and the XRT are about the same price, so just wondering if they do the same things and if one brand or customer service is better than the other.

Looking for 100% code free, trouble free driving. All i have is a 3000 lb race car with a 3500 lb 18' dovetail , looking at upgrading to a 28' Tag Enclosed race trailer soon, but i doubt the 6.7 will have any problems pulling that.

thanks for the help, and if anyone knows of a vender that is having a sale ,feel free to let me know
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
I'm looking at buying one of these two products, Smarty Sr/ Jr. or the H&S XRT.

Smarty JR-Me is 495.00
Smarty Sr-Me is 685.00

H&S XRT is 699.00

My truck has an Edge w/ A for gauges only, S&B CAI, DPF delete, and the H&S EGR delete kit is on order. This truck halls the mail as is now, i'm not really looking for more HP at this time, but more getting rid of the emissions and pick up the fuel mileage. I am even considering stacking a Mp-8 with the Smarty or XRT for better mileage.

Any advice or which one is better than the other? I know the JR is cheaper but not sure what disadvantages vs the SR. The Smarty SR and the XRT are about the same price, so just wondering if they do the same things and if one brand or customer service is better than the other.

Looking for 100% code free, trouble free driving. All i have is a 3000 lb race car with a 3500 lb 18' dovetail , looking at upgrading to a 28' Tag Enclosed race trailer soon, but i doubt the 6.7 will have any problems pulling that.

thanks for the help, and if anyone knows of a vender that is having a sale ,feel free to let me know
First off do not stack with any of the controller you have listed. The MP-8 will not be needed. The programmers listed can max the truck out without the added box.
The Jr will give you three safe power levels. 40/70/100 and stock. You can even run with or with out deletes. When deleted you can run with out the programmer or at stock, 40, 70 , or 100 horse. I have ran the Jr and Sr. If you are not looking for monster power to tear the truck up the Jr will give it all too you. The Jr uses the first 3 tunes off of the Sr's programming. You even get the Power on Demand feature with the Jr. If you want more information on the Jr feel free to PM me.
andy

· Registered
2,024 Posts
It doesn't matter which one you buy - other than cost.

All do the same thing, are code-free and have tons of support. And I've ran the XRT and S-67.

These are the only differences I can tell you between the two:

1) The Smarty smokes less on regular software.
2) The Smarty allows you to adjust more options, like timing, rail pressure and torque management.
2a) The XRT does this for you so you don't have to mess with it.
3) The Smarty changes tunes faster.

· Registered
179 Posts
I got the Jr with egr/dpf delete. More power and fuel economy than you need..$495

Reactions: Onelongshot

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off do not stack with any of the controller you have listed. The MP-8 will not be needed. The programmers listed can max the truck out without the added box.
The Jr will give you three safe power levels. 40/70/100 and stock. You can even run with or with out deletes. When deleted you can run with out the programmer or at stock, 40, 70 , or 100 horse. I have ran the Jr and Sr. If you are not looking for monster power to tear the truck up the Jr will give it all too you. The Jr uses the first 3 tunes off of the Sr's programming. You even get the Power on Demand feature with the Jr. If you want more information on the Jr feel free to PM me.
andy

pm sent

you say more fuel economy, what are you getting?
The second day i bought it i drove 300 miles to Albuquerque NM empty, its uphill there and downhill back to Amarillo. The lie-o-meter read 17.5 there, and 18.5 back, but when i checked at the pump i only got 17.5mph on the return trip.

I have a friend with a 07 with a 5.9L and he says he gets 23-24 empty and 18 towing his race car on a flat bed trialer, i'm not sure if he is using the lie-o-meter or at the pump.

I would like to see 20+mph on the highway and maybe 17+ towing my trailer. I have a 2000 mile trip coming up and fuel mileage would be nice.

· Learning Process
1,649 Posts
You are not going to get the 5.9 mileage! I know I have had both and the 6.7 will not get as good close but not as good:thumbsup:

· Registered
954 Posts
Both Smarty and H&S provide great products. If your not looking for all out power then the Smarty Jr. is a great option. If your looking for some power now and potential upgrades down the road, I would go with either the S67 or the XRT. Like stated above, the XRT smokes a lot more than the S67. H&S also has all of the tuning already in each of their tunes, whereas the S67 allows you to make tuning changes. It really comes down to how much you want to spend on a product and what your looking for as far as performance upgrades in the future.

· Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I find that to be exactly the opposite and I have owned 4 5.9's:shock:
I find your statement to be backwards. I have owned 8 5.9's 12v and 24v injector pumps and common rails and they ALL got better fuel mileage than my 6.7. My 6.7 got 12mpg stock 9 mpg pulling, 13mpg w/badp 9mpg pulling,16mpg w/smarty 12 pulling. My current 5.9 gets 18mpg empty 14 towing. Please tell me how to make my 6.7l get better MPG than my 5.9l

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I find your statement to be backwards. I have owned 8 5.9's 12v and 24v injector pumps and common rails and they ALL got better fuel mileage than my 6.7. My 6.7 got 12mpg stock 9 mpg pulling, 13mpg w/badp 9mpg pulling,16mpg w/smarty 12 pulling. My current 5.9 gets 18mpg empty 14 towing. Please tell me how to make my 6.7l get better MPG than my 5.9l
My 6.7 gets entirely different mileage than yours. 16-17 city and 19-21 on the highway, unloaded of course.

· Registered
532 Posts
I have run both tuners. They both run great.
on my truck the xrt was more code free. my smarty pops a code every 3k miles, no big deal.

I must say HS has the best support. If you want to be hung up on and deal with a rude sack of crap, call bob wagner:thumbsup:
later
adam

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I have run both tuners. They both run great.
on my truck the xrt was more code free. my smarty pops a code every 3k miles, no big deal.

I must say HS has the best support. If you want to be hung up on and deal with a rude sack of crap, call bob wagner:thumbsup:
later
adam
I haven't had any issues where I've needed to call Bob :confused013:

· Registered
532 Posts
well i called bob cuz i cant get tnt to load on my smarty...first off im told it doesnt exist and that i dont have it and its not avilable. Well i recieved it from a beta tester. He was very rude to me and didnt help me at all. He asked were i got it and i told him i cannot say who gave it to me. Then he hung up on me.
I dont believe that he has to be rude, when i did nothing wrong. If anything he should be mad at the beta testers who are handing a non released tune out

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I agree, being rude is ridiculous.

I just haven't had any issues with my Smarty where I needed to call, so I can't comment on their customer service from firsthand experience.

I agree H&S is freakin' awesome at CS. I've only really dealt with Casey and he's been great.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well now i'm real glad i ordered something , because i keep getting an "Emmisions Full , Service required " on the OHD.

I didn't think i was supposed to get those codes with the Simulators in place?

· Registered
282 Posts
so which Tuner Gives the Best Mileage ? i have the Edge J/A and Diable power puck
will i see a increase in milage with a Smarty or XRT ? and how much of a p0wer increase will i really see / it seems like the best et times posted around here wher with the edge and Epp /mp-8 stack, thanks for any info

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.