Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smarty on late model 09

995 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  k_vandenbos
Has anybody tried a smarty on a late model 09 yet? I just got off the phone with a place that said no problem it will work just fine even after I told them about all the warnings out there that state it will not work on late model 09s. Any info from from anyone on this????:confused013::confused013:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
If your build date is 03/04/2009 or later you are the proud owner of a bootloader locked ecm. The smarty or anyother programmer for that fact will not work. The only option you have is to wait or buy a prebootloader ecm from a salvage yard and have it vin matched to your vehicle. Then you could use a programmer. Catdiesel just did this I believe. It will not be much longer until the bootloader is cracked.
Andy

· Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your build date is 03/04/2009 or later you are the proud owner of a bootloader locked ecm. The smarty or anyother programmer for that fact will not work. The only option you have is to wait or buy a prebootloader ecm from a salvage yard and have it vin matched to your vehicle. Then you could use a programmer. Catdiesel just did this I believe. It will not be much longer until the bootloader is cracked.
Andy
Thats what i thought, this guy was adamant about it being able to work on my truck, I knew it was too good to be true. I hope they crack this locked ECM soon, its just a computer for crying out loud, there are always ways around computers.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I agree with Andy in what he has told you, I would also call James at Rollinsmokediesel for futher information. Some shops just want to sell and not care about their customers, in my opinion. James will help you.
mailto:[email protected]
Good Luck.

· Registered
238 Posts
Ok I have a question about mine. The build date says 3/09. So how do I know if it is bootloader locked or not?

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
Reactions: k_vandenbos

· Registered
238 Posts
Thanks man. So it says 030908 so that means it was built on March 9, 2009 at 8 o'clock right? So this means I am bootloader locked? I was looking at a Hypertech or a Superchip and these won't work then?

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
Thanks man. So it says 030908 so that means it was built on March 9, 2009 at 8 o'clock right? So this means I am bootloader locked? I was looking at a Hypertech or a Superchip and these won't work then?
You would be bootloader locked because your date falls after the magic date of 03/04/2009. Sorry you might just have to wait until the guys crack the code.
Andy

· Registered
238 Posts
Well damn. Well I guess I will just have to wait. Thanks man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.