Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Smarty Mileage Report

1665 23
I thought some of you might want to see some mileage numbers on a road trip.

Denver, Co to Elgin, Ok via I-70 to I-35. 758 miles total running 80 mph through Colorado and 75 through Kansas and Oklahoma, and then 80 mph again for the last 55 miles. Setting on SW 7 and default on all other settings, 19.1 mpg.

Elgin to Denver, used Hwy 287, which varies from 70 mph to 75 mph and stops through towns along the way, same Smarty settings, 19.5 mpg.

Obviously these are approximate due to fill up discrepencies. The motor had 9700 miles on it when I left Denver, so I don't think the motor is quite broken in yet, so we'll see if there's any improvements next time.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
With the 12 ME I have noticed 19.5 mpg on a 450 mile trip avg. 72 mph. At 78 mph 18.5mpg. Boost seems to stay near 6 lbs and 600-700 egt on flat ground.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, this is with the original release software, DR8 I believe

· Registered
174 Posts
so i pulled the trailer to new braunfels and got 12.6 on the way there driving around 70-75, and got 13.8 on the way back doing around 65 cause of all of the bikers comming back from the rot ralley. and the trailer weighed 12,686 with my bike in it. not to bad, i was excpecting a lot worse!

· Registered
637 Posts
Running empty with Original ME on SW5 Timing 3 and all others default. I was getting 21.5-22 at 75MPH.

Same run same setting 12ME I am down to 19mpgs. This was measured today over 485 miles.

I am thinking about reloading the original release. Seems to be too much boost just cruising at speed.

· Registered
708 Posts
Just to be clear is all these MPG numbers hand calculated? or what the overhead is showing.

· Registered
41 Posts
Mine are all hand calculated. The overhead usually shows 23 mpg and seems to be roughly 3 mpg off of the hand calculated mpg.

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
I must drive really hard or something because my numbers are not even close to what yall are getting. Or maybe I have not re-cal the tire size correctly. But my fuel tank is between 1/4 and empty right now and I only have 380 miles on this tank. On average I am getting 13mpg on each tank. I did however lighten up on my driving about 5 tanks ago and got 15.2mpg. It has been like this pretty much with any software version. So what are yall doing different from me. my overhead shows 14.5 right now.

· Registered
49 Posts
I'm also amazed at some of the mileage you guys are getting. I'm running Smarty ME and just upgraded to 12me. Best I've seen so far on the highway is 17.5mpg on the overhead which is around 16.5 hand calc'd. I have 3" lift, 35" tires and a lumber rack, so that's probably costing me 2-3 mpg, which would get me close to 20mpg. But it's just amazing to see guys with lifts and big tires breaking 20mpg.

Mileage has definately improved by 1-2 mpg and so far it looks like 12me is about 0.5mpg better than the original release.

· Registered
637 Posts
Mine are hand calculated and cruise is set while on the Expressway. I am reporting strictly my HIGHWAY only mileage.

Overhead is usally 2 or 3 mpg higher.

· Registered
740 Posts
Hey guys !!1 I have gotten about a 3 solid MPG increase since changing over from the PMT!!! And that was with using the EPP on as well!!! Truck also runs smoother than it ever has!!!

· Registered
1,111 Posts
I thought some of you might want to see some mileage numbers on a road trip.

Denver, Co to Elgin, Ok via I-70 to I-35. 758 miles total running 80 mph through Colorado and 75 through Kansas and Oklahoma, and then 80 mph again for the last 55 miles. Setting on SW 7 and default on all other settings, 19.1 mpg.

Elgin to Denver, used Hwy 287, which varies from 70 mph to 75 mph and stops through towns along the way, same Smarty settings, 19.5 mpg.

Obviously these are approximate due to fill up discrepencies. The motor had 9700 miles on it when I left Denver, so I don't think the motor is quite broken in yet, so we'll see if there's any improvements next time.
Are you getting those MPG #'s with the truck in your sig (Rize 8" w/ Skyjacker leafs -- 20's on 37" Toyo's) ??????

I'm not calling B.S on ya, but I think you made a mathematical error in your calculations if you got those # with that truck!!!

· Registered
245 Posts
12me tune

setting SW7 all defaults average 70-75mph 21.5 MPG
setting SW9 all defaults except RP #3 70-75mph 20.7 MPG

This new program :wave:

Leaving on SW9 for now as daily driver. Spools even better, EGT's still in check.:thumbsup:

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you getting those MPG #'s with the truck in your sig (Rize 8" w/ Skyjacker leafs -- 20's on 37" Toyo's) ??????

I'm not calling B.S on ya, but I think you made a mathematical error in your calculations if you got those # with that truck!!!
Good catch!!! :doh:

My bad, I have failed to update my sig since taking all of that stuff off, lol. The numbers reported are on stock wheels and tires with a level kit.

The numbers are hand calculated too, for the guy who asked...

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Good catch!!! :doh:

My bad, I have failed to update my sig since taking all of that stuff off, lol. The numbers reported are on stock wheels and tires with a level kit.

The numbers are hand calculated too, for the guy who asked...
I was sure something was wrong!! Your lift looked really GOOD, but they really screw-up the driveability and become a PIA after the newness wears off...

· Registered
510 Posts
I must drive really hard or something because my numbers are not even close to what yall are getting. Or maybe I have not re-cal the tire size correctly. But my fuel tank is between 1/4 and empty right now and I only have 380 miles on this tank. On average I am getting 13mpg on each tank. I did however lighten up on my driving about 5 tanks ago and got 15.2mpg. It has been like this pretty much with any software version. So what are yall doing different from me. my overhead shows 14.5 right now.
I have a hair over a 1/4 at 395 miles, all city driving and hard on the pedal here and there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.