Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a smarty on my truck and i run it on sw4 just fuel. Cause i have a comp that i run sometimes. Most of the time i run just the smarty but when i kick my truck out of overdrive i can hear like a knock of some kind to it. Can cut the comp on 1x3 and it all but goes away. I don't think it did it before the smarty if so i couldn't hear it because i had a open filter on it. Now i have my stock box back on because K/N sucks:w: What could it be?? Was thinking timing knock but i don't know how that would be because i'm not using timing settings. It sounds bad and has me wanting to take to smarty off.:thud: Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
I've seen comments about some early gen 3 Smarty loads causing timing rattle at idle speeds, but never on a gen 2.

The obvious troubleshooting step would be to remove the Smarty and see if it does it.

Seems odd the noise only occurs when you kick out of overdrive.

If you are running fuel additive, in particular a Cetane booster, you might leave that out for awhile as that can artificially advance timing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is there when it is in both drive and overdrive gears you can just hear it better when it is out of overdrive. It also goes away when i cut my comp on which adds timing. I have the smarty on sW4 which is fuel only and stock timing. I removed the smarty and it seemed to still be there. But doesn't the smarty download new solfwere when you go back to stock? Could there be something in the programing causing it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
When you take the Smarty out, it will put back the stock program that was in the truck when the Smarty loaded.

Sounds like the Comp may have too much timing in it for your truck. I've never messed with on of those, might be best to call Edge..??..

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Turn the comp off and run smarty on 9

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think when you download the stock program for the smarty back into your truck it puts a updated program back in i think. It does it when the comp is off so its just the smarty with fuel only stock timing. It seems to all but go away with the smarty and the comp on. At idle it sounds fine. As far as fuel i have ran ULSD and off road with no change in sound?? I don't know i guess i need to call Smarty. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
When you take the Smarty out, it will put back the stock program that was in the truck when the Smarty loaded.
Smarty does not put back your stock program... it doesn't have the ability to 'download' your stock program. It contains all stock programs from Chrysler, it reads your VIN and decides which stock software your truck needs and loads that one from it's 'library' of softwares.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smarty does not put back your stock program... it doesn't have the ability to 'download' your stock program. It contains all stock programs from Chrysler, it reads your VIN and decides which stock software your truck needs and loads that one from it's 'library' of softwares.
thats what i was thinking. Thats why it still does it when i put the STOCK program back in. Do you think it could be something like a fuel knock if that makes sense

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turn the comp off and run smarty on 9
Then i could use the power form my comp. And i don't think my tranny would like that to much:lol3: No tq/m

1 - 9 of 9 Posts