Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few different quotes:

The Smarty JR doesn't have any flashes in it.........it saves what is currently on your truck and then you can put it back to whatever is saved as "stock"
smarty doesnt save what is programed on the ECM, however when you return back to stock it will use the latest flash that is current on its memory. this is why it makes sence to keep it updated since Marco and Bob make sure to encorporate the latest factory flashes into the programmings.
Well, I sure hope this isn't true ... there will be literally endless combinations of so-called "STOCK" software on all the trucks out there from 2003 to 2007. This doesn't make any sense at all; that Mads would wipe out each of our individual ECMs software and then install it's own generic version. Man I hope this is not true.
I just had some new flashes done at the dealer so this would mean they are gone now. I hope not.
There have never been any downloadable updates for Smarty Jr so I can't see it working this way at all.
Or am I misunderstanding your comment?
Time to clear this up anyhow ... where are u Bob? lol :popcorn:
I believe the smarty saves whatever software is on your truck at the time you upload the smarty. So it only saves the lastest version you have on your truck. It can only hold one program. smarty & ecm.
from what I have read, smarty uses the latest stock software capable from Dodge. if there is something new that comes out, it may take a bit for the new software to show up on mads site. so if you did have a flash done, load smarty, then go back to stock, the software load you will have is what is loaded on smarty, not what was loaded on your truck at the time you loaded a smarty software. Basicaly, if you had the latest flash from dodge, and you upload smarty. . .it's gone.

We seem to have two different notions of how the STOCK software is returned to our ECMs ... can you give us the definitive answer as to how it works please Bob.
tia

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
when smarty is first connected to your truck smarty asks "hey who are you?"

ecm will answer back "25325373AA"

smarty will then proceed with " 1. update ecm 2. read data"

When you return your truck back to stock you will then get the latest software revision that is in the smarty software group.

If there were any updates you will get those and your ecm code will be updated to lets say "25335373AK"

The digits will always remain the same but the letter change as the updates are released over the years, starting with AA and then AB,AC,AD etc etc...

I hope this answers your question ,

Thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry Bob ... I'm still a little unclear as to where the "STOCK" sw comes from after it is re-installed by Smarty.
So does Smarty basically over-write each of our individual "STOCK" sw and install it's own generic "STOCK" software in its place? or does it actually save each of our original sw and re-install that when put back to "STOCK" ?

eg: I had some fan speed controller sw updates and others done at Dodge ... the next day when attempting to load Smarty sw#2 back in I mistakenly loaded the Smarty "STOCK" sw (I pushed the wrong arrow) ... does this mean I just lost my Dodge updates? or does Smarty only affect very specific files within the original "STOCK" software and everything else is left as is? or does it save our original stock sw and re-install that?
hope you can understand my question :) thanks again

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I don't think it installs generic stock software, it installs the latest that Dodge has to offer. The modified and stock softwares should incorporate all dodge changes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I found this on the Mads site ... still unsure what happens to all the ECM updates done by the Dodge dealer as there have never been any updates to the Jr sw at this time but ... whatever.

Q. Which version of "stock" will the Smarty come with.

A. Smarty does NOT download the complete original software from the ECM and does not store it into it's memory.
That is for a simple reason. The protocol in the ECM does not allow to read the flash memory.
How can Smarty then return to stock? Simple he has all the latest stock softwares already on board. When you choose
to return the truck back to stock, Smarty takes the stock software from it's memory and updates the ECM with that
software.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts