Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a smarty jr on my 04.5. I have a stage II TrueFlow intake and a 4" straight exhaust. I have the smarty set on the 100hp level and i can barely drive it easy enough for it not to smoke. I am also only pushing about 33-35 lb of boost and i was expecting higher. I runs like crazy, but i'm afraid i won't get as good mpg as i was hoping. Anybody have a quadzilla boost fooler with a smarty jr? Any ideas???

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Try the Beta that BBRam linked. No a boost fooler won't do anything unless you are seeing high egts or smoke at WOT.
The beta software has done wonders for my smoke, it works great.

And while the boost fooler is compatible with the Smarty Jr, it is not necessary. The wastegate is already disabled, so your good with boost on the Jr up to 44psi without a fooler.

I get about 33-34psi in SW#1, the one time I tried SW#3 I got 35, but it was a short try and I am at 3K feet.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
mine smokes a little on 100 (sw3), going to put it on 70 (sw2) and hook to the camper to see what happens :peelout

John

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
And while the boost fooler is compatible with the Smarty Jr, it is not necessary. The wastegate is already disabled, so your good with boost on the Jr up to 44psi without a fooler.
What I meant was, if he is seeing a lot of smoke...Smarty boost fuels (beyond stock) not boost fools...so if he is having WOT smoke problems, a boost fooler would actually work.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
What I meant was, if he is seeing a lot of smoke...Smarty boost fuels (beyond stock) not boost fools...so if he is having WOT smoke problems, a boost fooler would actually work.
Interesting, I didn't think it would make a difference, thanks. What would the boost fooler do that the Jr isn't doing since the wastegate is disabled?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
The Jr is allowing higher boost levels but is also fueling for that boost. A boost fooler allows higher boost levels but the ECM is only "seeing" 30ish psi and therefore fueling for only 30ish psi. The Jr will give more power than a boost fooler but if running too much boost (beyond efficiency) can run considerably higher egts.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
More towing this weekend on Beta #4, about 365 miles, from 3K feet to 6K feet, temps were mid-upper 90's and 80's. Towing a 18' TT weighing it at 5K and about 1K in the truck. (probably about ~14000 GCW) What I noticed..

Smoke: Still very low, more in the lower rpm range as the temp increased, but still very very minimal. I would have been a train with the std software. I saw no more than a puff with this setup, VERY happy.

EGT's: I saw the far side of 1200*, only once or twice. The EGT's only go above 1100 in the 1400-1700 RPM range, where power is good but boost maxes around 18psi. Which is warmer than the std tune, but the timing is retarded and its not warm enough to even think about. Above 1800 rpms the EGT's are hard to get to climb.

Power: I really like this tune, lots of power.

Boost: in cruise control never went above 29psi, even at high load on a hot day at elevation... very happy with that.

5th gear, 55-60 mph, 2200 rpms, load from 40-85%, boost 10-29psi, IAT 118*-125*, hill went from 2650' to 4250' in about 5.5 miles, some flat, baby down grade, and some STEEP spots.. EGT never went above 1050*

One quick passing WOT run, 50-75 mph in 5th gear... just a little smoke that cleared very quick, EGT got to 1150* then came down, and boost was above 30 but didn't notice, too quick. I was on a 1-2% down grade, but if flat moved out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts