Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im looking for the right programer for me i went down to my local 4wheelparts and had the BDTD try befor you buy version put on, best 3days of my life!! haha i raced a guy from work with a hemi and blew the doors off him..Not to mention he had smoked me about 3 weeks ago..i was told it was the 40hp that they had put in it. but felt like so much more i was blowing lots of smoke and loved it!! Anyways i was really looking into the BDTD but im hearing alot about High EGT's and stuff so i am now looking into the Smarty JR. 100Hp is plenty of enough for me! plus if i was just running 40HP on that trial chip i probably would always keep it on a low setting..
My question is would i be safe to run the Smarty JR without doing any tranny mods? witch would be safer to run Smarty Jr or Triple dog?:popcorn:

·
Registered
205 Posts
smarty JR on tow would be ok with stock trani as long as you used some "judgement" Performance setting would deffinatly be chalenge for your stock trani . IMHO

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont put mine anything over 70hp,thats plenty of power anyways. Your EGTs will be lower and it wont leave a footprint on your ECM unlike others.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've only had mine on about a week, now I wonder why I waited so long. Have mine on the 70hp tow setting as well, seems to be getting better mileage. Probably would be better if I can keep my foot out of it!!!:lol3:

·
Registered
205 Posts
good luck keepingyour foot out of it! LOL

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have had mine on all settings and love it. Truck is a manual so the only worry for me is the clutch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tried the 100HP setting for two days, It was WAY too much fun! had to go back to the 70HP just to save my trani. Also WAY too much smoke on 100HP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tried the 100HP setting for two days, It was WAY too much fun! had to go back to the 70HP just to save my trani. Also WAY too much smoke on 100HP.
Hmmm, might have load the 100hp setting sometime. Fun is good!!!:T:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Funz good as long as ya got the $$$$ for a new tranmission...(smile)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im glad to hear that you all love your smarty jr's! so can i come to an agrement that the 70hp settng wont kill my tranny?? haha i for shure wont use the 100hp setting because that would be way to much stress on my tranny.. my next question will smarty jr. preform better then the bully dog triple dog??
oh and thanks for all of your honest answers.:beer

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
You will be a lot happier with the Smarty, but the BDTD does get good reviews. I think for your particular application, and not wanting to do to much work, it is the easiest solution. You should be fine with the tow setting, but the top setting will eventually tear up the tranny. In the future, a good Torque Converter, and a Valve body would be good insurance, if you wanna really have fun with the truck. If you do boosted launches, you will tear up the shafts!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
You will be a lot happier with the Smarty, but the BDTD does get good reviews. I think for your particular application, and not wanting to do to much work, it is the easiest solution. You should be fine with the tow setting, but the top setting will eventually tear up the tranny. In the future, a good Torque Converter, and a Valve body would be good insurance, if you wanna really have fun with the truck. If you do boosted launches, you will tear up the shafts!!
I concur!.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts