Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about adding a Smarty Jr. What is everybody’s take on it? Any problems? I have heard about some issues with smoke, anyone else? What kind of mileage gains are you seeing? What level are you running? Any issues with stock components mainly auto transmission?
Thanks,
D

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
you will need to be careful on the 100 hp tune but as long as you dont drive with heavy foot you will be ok. I think they have the smoke issues worked out. Let me know if i can help you with anything.

Tyler

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've had my Smarty Jr for about 3 months. Makes great power. Always run mine on 70hp tune. It will roll some smoke but clears up pretty quick. Mainly lugging the engine it will smoke. There are beta tunes out to clear the smoke up if your worried about it. Didn't really seen much of a mileage gain but im sure you could get 1-2 MPG better on the 40hp tune and a light foot. My trans is stock and its doing fine. If you don't beat on it all the time you should be fine. You will be amazed what the Smarty Jr will do! AWESOME PRODUCT! Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I am thinking about adding a Smarty Jr. What is everybody’s take on it? Any problems? I have heard about some issues with smoke, anyone else? What kind of mileage gains are you seeing? What level are you running? Any issues with stock components mainly auto transmission?
Thanks,
D
Drive reasonable and you should be ok. I would not spend too much time on the 100hp tune. I have heard gains in the 1-2.5 mpg range. :thumbsup

wait....do you have gauges????

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No gauges yet, future mod. I don't tow with it so am not too worried right now.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I have one and think its great. I keep it on SW#1, 40 hp, all the time. I am running one of the lower smoke beta tunes and its great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
smarty jr on 40 hp no smoke to speak of unless you want some about 1.5 mpg better loving jr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to this site and own a 2005 Dodge 2500, 5.9 w/auto tranny. Truck is stock except for a K&N replacement air filter. I have been visiting multiple diesel forums about perf programers and just purchased a smarty jr. I have to admit, I read how many guys are confused with the instructions and so am I. I figured I would try the lowest settings first and go up after a few weeks of testing. I have very little experience with programers, so I am looking for any advice in choosing the right settings for best performance/fuel economy without destroying my drivetrain. I currently loaded SW#1 on the catcher and left everything else in the default mode. I noticed much better throttle response and smoother shifting so far but haven't driven enough to see any fuel burn changes. I like what I see so far but would appreciate any suggestions or experience you guys have to get the best performance overall with the smarty jr.

Thanks in advance and look forward to your replies!

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
That setting is the best between economy and drivetrain.

Ditch that K&N as fast as you can, about the worst filter out there!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Absolutely love my Jr. Does everything I need at the moment. Currently set at the 100hp tune, timing 4, and tq. at 2 if I remember right. Haven't changed it for over a year. And I also use this same settings whether empty or pullling my 37' fifth wheel. No heat issues until I started up the hills in S.D. Downshift, keep the rpms up, no egt issues. :thumbsup: Man, I love a manual trans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks bro. By chance are you or were you a 64 driver? I was a 60 IP and just retired a couple hrs ago. Was in Iraq 2004/2005 at FOB Speicher. Anyway, what air filter do you recommend if not the K&N? Also I am planning on a new exhaust system this spring, what are you running?

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Yes I am a 64 MTP for the Idaho Guard, retirement is still 15 years off!!

The stock 4" filter is the best there is for the OEM box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roger that, I had 25 good yrs minus some of the army BS. My K&N is the replacement for the stock oem filter box. The stock filter kept causing my airflow indicator to max out. Since putting in the K&N it hasn't moved, showing no airflow restriction. Is there another replacement you like? I will never go back to the stock paper filter, even a new one showed restricted air flow. What exhaust are you running?

Fly safe!

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Was it the 4" version or the 2" version?

I have a turbo/cam and make about 400 rwhp, and with the home depot CAI and a stock 4" air filter my filter minder doesn't move.

I have the stock 4" exhaust with a 40" Donaldson in place of the kitty and a resonator off a mega-cab in the tail pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
4". I'm looking into a SSteel replacement from the turbo back. I'm gonna stick with the 4" pipe to keep that annoying loud rumble to a min on the highway. I wanna get rid of my cat and put on a quality perf muffler. Would you recommend loosing the cat or keeping it, and if you keep it, why? Thanks

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I ditched it becuase the Smarty Jr makes a little more smoke that stock and I didn't want to plug it up, I am not sure if it's an issue or not.

You may try the OEM air filter with a Home Depot CAI (about $20). The K&N doesn't do a very good job of filtering, which is the norm with most aftermarket filters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts