Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to going from 5:08 to 5:12. When running SW3 on each version, truck feels the same (with whatever defaults are loaded) as I would expect. I ended up trying to mess with timing and torque today.

What settings are pre-loaded for these 2 settings???. I think it was 4 timing and 2 torque but I did not pay much attention as I have having problems navigating the menus. I have it set to 2 and 2 now (defaults for both?) on SW3 and I definitely notice a difference.. a little more sluggish or have to press the pedal a little more to go. Can you tell me if the following info is still current for 5:12 (posted by mjf6175 back in Nov. 2009.)

Having obviously spent WAY too much time reading Smarty Jr. threads in an attempt to clear my own confusion I was able to put together the following info:

Power Level SW1-40HP (is timing only)
Power Level SW2-70HP (is timing and duration)
Power Level SW3-100HP (is timing and more duration)

Each of the above Power Levels (SW’s) can be adjusted/fine tuned for Torque Management and Injection Timing as follows:

Injection Timing
#0 default (the #0 default setting is the SAME as "#2 smarty standard" listed below)
#1 stock
#2 smarty standard
#3 mild ( less advanced than #2)
#4 advanced (more timing advance than level #2)

This results in a sequence of TM1-TM3-TM2-TM4 with the amount of timing added INCREASING in steps from TM1 through TM4 with TM4 the MOST timing.

Torque Management
#0 default (the #0 default setting is the SAME as "#2 mild" listed below)
#1 stock
#2 mild
#3 milder (less than #2)
#4 mildest (less than #3)

This probably causes the most confusion. Does the "mild/milder/mildest" refer to the amount of "Torque Management" or to the amount of "Torque delivered to the wheels over stock"? I asked the question on another board and the answer from someone involved with Smarty said:

"The order of least to most TQ to the ground is 1,4,3,2" with TQ2 putting the most torque to the ground(see following exception noted in next paragraph)

That would then make Timing #4 and Torque #2 the most aggressive settings. EXCEPT FOR SMARTY VERSION 5.08. For reasons known only to MADS the “torque delivered to the ground” in version 5.08 is 1,2,3,4 as it increases (levels 2 and 4 are reversed from the other versions. I have been told that if you UPDATE a Smarty Jr. version 5.08 to 5.09 or 5.10 it will change the order to 1,4,3,2 like the other versions)

Below are the most powerful and responsive settings for each version (5.07-5.08-5.09-5.10). These are also the most powerful settings for each power level (SW1-SW2-SW3):
version 5.07- timing 4, torque 2
version 5.08- timing 4, torque 4
version 5.09- timing 4, torque 2
version 5.10- timing 4, torque 2

Thanks
Fixit

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Still correct. TM2 and TQ2 are the default settings.

What settings were you running on 5.08?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still correct. TM2 and TQ2 are the default settings.

What settings were you running on 5.08?
I have never touched any settings since REVO /POD was introduced for the Jr. what ever I downloaded from mads was what I used. This is why I asked what is the default setting when delivered or downloaded. The truck drives different now and I just want to know where I was before I messed w/ TM and TQ.

I could swear there was a 4 in for torq when I first looked and default for timing but since I never used those menus before and it was early, I did not pay close enough attention. To update, I might have gone from 5:10 to 5:12. I believe the last version I had was the one that fixed the hp settings.. was that 8 or 10? The update I just did fixed the torq problem I think.

Guess I could always re-load 5:12 onto the smarty and see what I get for defaults.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
If all you ever have used is defaults there should be very few differences over the entire rpm band from 5.08, or 5.10, to 5.12.. Minor things, I think they improved driveability and am overall happier with 5.12 than 5.08 or 5.10.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so there were more changes than just hp settings on SW2 and SW3 and torq setting changes. 4 for 2 or 2 for 4. I'll give it a week or so and then change another setting. I think you have posted before your best settings for winter summer? Can you post again. I guess I want best mileage and lowest smoke.

BTW, I have a factory exhaust brake to install (I think you have one). I have had if for a year and just can't seem to find the time to install it. I just found out that my cab clearance lights are leaking. I pull in the driveway backwards and it is on a down slope. I have dried water spots running down the inside of the windshield in a few spots in line with the cab lights.

any, thanks for the help

Fixit

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
There were some more smoke driveability improvements, in addition to the tq management correction from 5.08.

I have done a few different things over the last 2 years of Revo, but now I just reduce the TQ in winter and leave the timing/SW the same. I run stock TQ in winter, and TQ3 in summer.

I am super happy with the EB, I won't own a diesel without one.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
There were some more smoke driveability improvements, in addition to the tq management correction from 5.08.

I have done a few different things over the last 2 years of Revo, but now I just reduce the TQ in winter and leave the timing/SW the same. I run stock TQ in winter, and TQ3 in summer.

I am super happy with the EB, I won't own a diesel without one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts