Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
An image is the currently loaded ECM configuration which contains the VIN. The image is saved as file for transport and manipulation. Essentially when it is on a computer or SD card or tuner it is a file, once it is installed on the ECM it is referred to as an image.

No idea why it is locking the ECM image like that, might be something in the OS of the Smarty is wrong or the existing image it has is out of date. What Smarty is loading is all pulled form Tech Authority to get the latest up dates to the ECM files then modified by the box tunes. If all else fails updated the handheld to the latest revision and try agian.

Ok I updated the smarty and nothing. I think I'm going to go with EFI Live. I hate the dealers in the area and they dont want to re flash the ECM with any guarantee that it will work after . Sucks I have a programmer already but wont work because smarty somehow put something in the file to not let it read and then want to sell you a clean file, which makes no sense. If your smarty is not supposed to do what it has done, why would you try to sell me a file that will unlock the read function??

·
Registered
802 Posts
A locked ecm will still be locked no matter what platform you use. Dealer or smarty will be the only ones able to unlock that ecm for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I don't known it is locked. It just says read disabled. This is what worries me. The dealer wants $185 to flash, smarty wants $120 but don't know if it will work. My tuner says EFI live will flash it with the tune. Got says It needs a base file, but can't read my stock tune with smarty. Why can't this be simple! I feel like I'm going to spend a lot on money for something that should not be happening since smarty leaves not trace, but does. This sucks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
What also worries me is my dealer said they will refresh if it needs an update. They said if it's up to date there is no need. I then said no just want a reflash and he like sure it will be 185. I'm worried they will scan and see it doesn't need an update and then just charge me 185 and never reflash. I hate relying on other to do stuff. People a shotty and stupid. Today I went to firestone to get an alignment. I gave them the Thurens specs for their lift and no death wobble. 2 hr later they align it to dodge specs. WTF. So I had to sit there and watch them for another 1.5 hr to get it right. Sorry don't trust anyone, because all these places just want money and don't care about anything else. Hence why I have to spend $120 to smarty which says leaves no trace, but yet will sell me a file that actually leave no trace. Weird how that works.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A locked ecm will still be locked no matter what platform you use. Dealer or smarty will be the only ones able to unlock that ecm for you.
According to EFI Live "Yes, EFILive can unlock the controller but only by providing a stock tune file that will overwrite the protected tune file that is currently Auto-Locked in the controller. Under no circumstances will EFILive unlock the controller without erasing the tune in the controller. Powered by DeskPRO."

21 - 25 of 25 Posts