Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With fuel prices up to $3.39 here in MO I have to figure out why I'm getting such bad mileage. I constantly hear people talking about 20mpg and I want to know why I'm not. I started running 2 stroke oil in my fuel, my tires are topped off and I drive like a grandpa and I still don't see much over 15. I was running my Smarty on TNT-9 and put it back to Revo-9 because atleast with this it will get closer to 16, but still not 20. Does anyone know of anything that I can do to help me out?

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Well in the winter my fuel economy goes down to about 14.5-15ish, partly bc of the winter diesel and letting the truck warm up. In the summer its usually 16-17 if im nice. But the G56 has a higher final drive on it so its like having 4.10s in the back and thats a big part of why fuel economy is low. I tried all kinds of different tunes but it didnt really seem to help economy so i just leave it turned up all the time.

You could try an overdrive unit or put some 3.42s in the back

·
Registered
70 Posts
don't know if I'm just lucky or if the 04's get that much better milage...unless I'm towing my truck seldom ever sees over 2500 rpm..and my wife tell me I am so slow getting up too speed ( oh on the truck too :) ) but around 2000 rpm or 64 mph I get around 21.5 hand calculated..even pushing it now and again to feel the smartywork I never fall below 19

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why would you load the highest performance programming designed for race level mods if you want economy. Load maybe Revo level 3 with defaults. Test that level for economy. If it is better and you can live with the power, then set pod to around 60 and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of it as if I had a higher level tune, the truck is putting forth less effort to do the same thing as a stock truck, thus better mileage but I guess it's not the case

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would improving my intake help me at all? I don't have a lid but I could easily make one, and I could even run a hose down from the box if it would improve things any

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
your never going to see 20mpg with 35's! your doing almost all you can at 16!
Contrary to popular belief I see 20 on the hwy all the time with my 35's. It boils down to timing and atomization. Turn your timing down just a little, and turn your rail pressure up and adjust your tq management just a little higher and your fuel mileage will go up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Would improving my intake help me at all? I don't have a lid but I could easily make one, and I could even run a hose down from the box if it would improve things any
I Noticed about .5 mpg improvement when i switched from a BHAF with gutted stock tube to an AFE stage 2. my EGT's dropped about 100 degrees too.

Just make sure you air and fuel filter are clean/fresh. keep your rpms under 2000. if you have a boost gauge try not to go over 10psi on the highway. i've been averaging right at 20mpg on 33's. but it's not impossible on 35's

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I thought of it as if I had a higher level tune, the truck is putting forth less effort to do the same thing as a stock truck, thus better mileage but I guess it's not the case

:agree2:

i got the best mileage when i ran bullydog on extreme and now when my smarty is on sw7 Tq3 tm2 rp2

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts

i got the best mileage when i ran bullydog on extreme and now when my smarty is on sw7 Tq3 tm2 rp2
I get the best economy with tq on stock, doesnt it being on 3 making the throttle more aggressive, hinder it, since itll fuel that much more down low?

and fwiw i think that 19-20+mpg is doable for a G56 truck with 35s, with a good tune and some smaller gears or an overdrive

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
yes it does but im just used to it i guess. when its in stock i find myself pushing the pedal harder and accelerating harder. just a bad habit i guess. if i turn the torque management down i just feather it and it's just right for me. personal preference i guess.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
yes it does but im just used to it i guess. when its in stock i find myself pushing the pedal harder and accelerating harder. just a bad habit i guess. if i turn the torque management down i just feather it and it's just right for me. personal preference i guess.
Im the same way i like having the tq on 3 for daily driving bc it does feel like you are using less fuel to go faster since u dont have to push down the pedal as far, driving with stock tq isnt fun at all. i was just curious if you had a different perspective on the tq in relation to fuel economy, thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So am I going to see better mileage with the regular revo over the tnt? Because I was running it on TNT-9 and it would smoke a lot easier. Another thing I was curious about, since I dont have a lid for my intake box, would I benefit at all from running a pipe down out of the bottom of it?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

Me too best miliage on BD in highest setting, spools turbo better too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I get 20mpg on the highway running 68 mph at 1900 to 2000 rpm Smarty revo on catcher #5 all default.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I Have been averaging about 14 but i pull 14k lbs once a week so that brings me down for my tank average. i just got a smarty so hopefully once i put it on it will help my mileage some. I had one on my 03 and it helped a ton and i put it on my 05 when i first bought it and it helped. but then being a dumbas$ i sold it and now want it again, so my new one will be here tomorrow hopefully

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just picked up a smarty finally so ill be runnin my numbers soon, but i noticed the same thing with psi on the BD. with BD i was hittin 45lbs and with the Smarty TNT im gettin just right around 40.

As far as fuel mileage with the smarty, i think a setting that will keep the fueling lower for when there is low boost and still have the advanced timing will be your best bet.

thats an idea that MADS needs to get on... seems that the highest hp setting is the best normally for fuel mileage when cruisin the highway but once in town my fuel will just fly out of the pipe untill spoolup, so.... y dont they make and "economy" sw that gives us the highend power of sw9 but AFTER we are already makin so much boost w the throttle X amount.

I think it would be great to have all the advanced timing and such, BUT without the huge smoke when im just tryin to back outta the drive way or park in a parking lot.

just a thought....:confused013:

Me too best miliage on BD in highest setting, spools turbo better too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts