Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a smarty and am wondering if it is normal for my lift pump to go apesh$# when loading a tune to ecm? I followed all the step in the instruction and when it started writing to the ecm my lift pump came on and ran the whole time then with about 5% left to go it just went crazy started turning on and off. Is this normal and is it gonna do it every time I load a new tune? I'm not to keen on the lift pump running constantly for 3 minutes while it loads. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
NO not normal ur lift pump is about to blow up!!!!!!
:kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom:

HAHA just kidding man its normal mine does it every time.

i think its actually the fuel system purging itself of air or something. i could be way off but i think when u leave the key in the on/run position for a certain amount of time there is something built into our trucks to tell them to purge air out of the fuel lines.

like i said i could be way off but i remember reading something about it and it could actually be the smarty causing it. in any case mine has done it everytime i loaded a tune with the smarty. oh yea and who cares if ur lift pump runs for 3 minutes while u load a tune

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
LOL goin for the record! i thought it was just my computer when it happened to me today

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Post count wh***!

As was said pull the fuse or relay for the FASS. It doesn't hurt the pump, but keeping the battery voltage up is a plus when flashing the ECM.

And yes...It is normal.

Paul

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks fellas, guess I'll just remove the fuse when I change software, the pump running kinda annoys me.

oh yea and who cares if ur lift pump runs for 3 minutes while u load a tune
You're probably right and it won't hurt the pump but it freaked me out because the pump was on the truck when I bought it and the previous owner musta been a tard cause it was hard wired to the battery and ran at all times. I had to buy the Fass harness and fix some stock wiring at the tank that he f'ed up. Thought something was jacked cause of the way he wired it or me fixing it.

2,792 Posts
For the 2005's and newer trucks, it's totally normal for the lift pump to cycle on and off while the Smarty is loading.

It doesn't do it on my truck. It freaked me out when I 1st loaded my Smarty on a 2005 truck, but that's the way it is.

WOW, this site is totally ****** up lately. :doh:
I totally agree.. I've done a triple post a few times in the last week. Totally clutters things up & no way to delete them unless you PM the moderators.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Thanks fellas, guess I'll just remove the fuse when I change software, the pump running kinda annoys me.

You're probably right and it won't hurt the pump but it freaked me out because the pump was on the truck when I bought it and the previous owner musta been a tard cause it was hard wired to the battery and ran at all times. I had to buy the Fass harness and fix some stock wiring at the tank that he f'ed up. Thought something was jacked cause of the way he wired it or me fixing it.
im not sure why the previous owner would have wanted to mess with the stock lift pump wireing on an 06. i could see it happening if it was an 04 and he had move the lift pump from the engine bay to the tank or something...

anyway how do u like the smarty??? is it the JR or SR?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm guessing he bought the pump used or something and, instead of buying the correct harness from FASS that bypasses the in tank pump, he cut the ground for it at the plug and ran the power for the FASS to a switched hot in the tipm wiring so whenever the key was on it ran constantly.:doh:

I got the Sr. and so far I really like it, I'm only running the revo software but it's a lot better on the low end, compared to the TST the throttle response is amazing, like driving a different truck:peelout:D

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
cool im very happy with the sr so far. just cant wait to get my trans straightened out so i can load the higher settings and then download TNT when i get some more air/fuel mods :broke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts