Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys What Level Should I Run My Smarty On If Im Gona Be Towin A 18 Foot Car Traoler With A Full Size Bronco On It.

·
Registered
634 Posts
9. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to mash it. What if you need to blow the doors off an empty dmax of ferd?

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
I hauled my Kubota Backhoe around this weekend. Ran SW9 with no problem. The egts ranged from 600-800.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Banned
393 Posts
What if your towing closer to 17,000 lbs??

·
Banned
393 Posts
Just curious, i often tow up to around 16-17,000lbs. I will be towing a large 5th wheel travel trailer for my job soon. Just would like to know the best way to do so.

·
SuperDuperMod
2,816 Posts
moved ya out of the classifieds for better exposure.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Using extra power is all relivent to supporting modifications to both engine and transmission. If stock no more than level 3 on smarty Sr. and level 2 on smarty Jr.

You can us the extra power on the higher settings as long as your careful. The only problem with that is you never know when you might need to avoid something or mash the throttle for some reason and there goes your transmission or clutch. Even worse yet your engine if conditions are not monitored properly.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I towed a 25ft camper trailer with my smarty on SW4 and my juice on 2...EGT's got up around 1000 on some of the bigger hills, but other than that I didn't have any probs

·
Registered
364 Posts
I towed my Jeep on a 18' trailer. Smarty on 3. EGTs got up to 1150.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I run 6-700 unloaded with my smarty on 5 so I am not real sure what to tow on. With the smarty on 1 my EGT's stayed around 900 max so I may give it a shot when I first start out and see if I can pull on 5 or not. I do find that my temps get much warmer after babying it for a while and then they go back down nearly 100* when I get on it and blow the soot out of the cat. I have been looking at removing that restriction but I haven't yet. Still on the list of things to do. I was planning to pull on 3 first to see what the temps are and go from there. I may be able to leave it on 5 though and just pull over and change it if I need to.

Chris

·
Registered
576 Posts
Towed my 5'er this weekend. Camper weight loaded is 14,500 lbs. Smarty on SW 5, default timing, mild rail pressure, mild torque & running around 32 lbs of boost WOT and ET hit 1100. Worked real good.:woot:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Towed my 5'er this weekend. Camper weight loaded is 14,500 lbs. Smarty on SW 5, default timing, mild rail pressure, mild torque & running around 32 lbs of boost WOT and ET hit 1100. Worked real good.:woot:
If you don't mind my asking, how did it effect your MPG?

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, how did it effect your MPG?
I really can't tell you. I only pulled it about 35 miles. Started with a full tank and ended with the gage still on full.
Driving it every day using the same settings, I average 17 to 19 hand calculated driving it sanely.
Once I take it on a trip, I will post up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts